Yes - we know that G+ is shutting down.

Discourse is great. I know it well from the Rhino 3D forum. Or what about a new FastLED section in the Arduino or Adafruit forum?

That plugin still seems to be buggy as fuck - and discourse lacks a reasonable mobile app. Andreas - read the rest of my comments here for why the arduino/adafruit forums really wont work (lack of mobile app, top level image previews, etc…)

@Andreas_Hopf , @Daniel_Garcia replied that until it has summaries with video/pictures, he’s not interested. Louis replied that there is a plugin that may do this to some extent, but it’s not clear how much.

Another (dumb?) question. It’s the public G+ that is being closed. G+ for domains (i.e. gsuite) continues to work and will continue to be supported or the foreseeable future (it is what we use internally at google).
So yes, I am a google employee, and therefore biased. I’ll however say that there are plenty of bugs in limitations in G+ that annoy me, and I can’t write publically on how I feel about the public G+ being killed.
All that being said, does anyone have a gsuite domain with G+ enabled?
Would it be feasible to get one at a reasonable price (or maybe free?) just to keep getting G+ for our group if it’s the lesser evil of all other options?

Can we just go to Reddit and get it over with, and stop pretending other options are realistic? It’s the only one that supports markdown, and all the other related communities have homes there.

Reddit has the advantage that one can properly post code there, unlike here.

With the shutdown pushed back to April (Google bastards) this becomes more pressing.

I hope MeWe is being considered. It appears to be in the top three migration sites and has some features that will be very useful to a support community. File and media storage, and realtime chat being among them.

I mentioned a few comments above - we’re most likely going to move to Reddit (Mark and I will start working out a plan/timeline - and there will be a new post with details) - certainly since then no one has really presented a more viable option. MeWe is a non starter as it’s groups are not indexed by search engines and you can’t even look at a group without an account.

@Daniel_Garcia As a worthy option, I see http://vk.com. It has a community system with rich post design capabilities. posting videos and photos. it’s also okay with notifications and there is a mobile client. You can make a chat in real time. You can also extend the functionality of the community with the help of plug-ins. If you find any flaws - I can answer for it.
the site also works in several languages, like google +. And it has a much higher speed of work.
http://vk.com

First of all, not being indexed by search engines and requiring an account to view posts are positive features of MeWe. Not negatives. This is a privacy feature that gives users complete control over their posts.
Secondly, it has been addressed by MeWe management weeks ago. After the initial Google Plus news, and resulting flood of new users, they have been very accommodating and responsive to user requests, to the point of putting out a user survey. As a result they have already announced that they will be adding public posts to an upcoming feature update.

@Christopher_Gaul if you can’t make your posts public and indexable, that’s not “complete control over your posts” :slight_smile:
As for the rationale, if you’re wondering, a portion of people who post (like me) will not post if it’s not public and indexable. And a portion of people who answer questions will not spend the time to do so if google can’t find the answer next time for other people asking the same question and checking first before asking again.

@Marc_MERLIN I have gsuite, I’ve not (yet) enabled G+ on it

Has anyone invested https://spectrum.chat/ as an option? It seems to have public indexing…haven’t tried out the mobile app yet though.

Well since people continue to blather on their opinions without having gotten any actual facts first, I’ll point out that just as I stated was going to happen in my previous comment, MeWe has implemented Public posts and they’ve been active for a couple of weeks now.
Not that it matters to this discussion, however I don’t want other Community operators reading this to make migration decisions based on the bad information posted here.
There is a large, vibrant, and growing collection of Google Plus users and Communities now on MeWe.
For anyone that goes there, be sure to check in at the “Google Plus Refugees” group. There you can find other plussers, announce Community migrations or new communities, get help with migrating or learning MeWe and more.

This guy just continues to blather on about his copy of a dying social media sites.

@Christopher_Gaul they’ve only implemented public posts to logged in members, their content is not being indexed by search engines as far as I am aware. So not really public at all.

@Christopher_Gaul have a link to a public post on mewe? I can’t seem to find one…

“If you’re a Google+ Community owner or moderator, you may download and save your data for your Google+ Community. Starting early March 2019, additional data will be available for download, including author, body, and photos for every community post in a public community.”

So, in early March, as soon as it’s available, we’ll download all FastLED Community posts and get them archived somewhere for posterity.

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9195133

Redit doesn’t suck…

If Reddit supports reasonable code formatting, because that’s necessary, why not? It’s a popular global platform, isn’t it?