Wonky laser tube

Just received a new tube today. It doesn’t work but after a raft of tests I think the old one also took out the PSU when it died. Meanwhile I’ve noticed a rather wonky metal collar at the cathode end of the tube and wondering if this is likely to be another problem? Should I wait for a new PSU and test it or just return it?

If it needs returning I want to get on with it. (Already waited an age for delivery)
Many Thanks
A

Those types of front mirror seals/jackets usually come with better tubes. Won’t be a problem :).

What are your LPS power symptoms?
What tests have you done to determine its bad?

Post pictures of:
Control panel
Laser power supply (LPS) showing the connectors

I would not think it any good having that metal tube(cathode conductor) at an angle like that with it being in the laser path and all.

Heh, I thought the OP was referring to the mirror jacket …
Didn’t notice the canted cathode ring :0.

Thanks for feedback. Think I’ll return the tube. W.r.t. the power supply, it shows a power light and the fan and accessory power is present. I’ve tested connectivity and resistance through laser switch, test switch and potentiometer and they all seem fine. However, trying to fire the laser with the cover test switch or the PCB test switch (inc. bypassing safety breaker on the cover) does not even twitch the ammeter. Haven’t opened it yet to check for burns or blown fuse - I was gonna be sensible and wait for any latent charge to dissipate

More than happy to try any other tests that are possible without a tube in place.
Thanks.

If it doe not fire with the PB down on the LPS then it is suspect.

What does the IN pin on the 6-pin connector read with power on?
It should be >0 and vary with the pot.

Does vary, ranging from just over 0 to nearly 5.

There is not much else to test “safely” so I would continue down the tube replacement route.

1 Like