Wonder what they are using for this?

Wonder what they are using for this? I used App Inventor to make a simple BLE app for the esp32 but I don’t see a lot of FastLED projects that use apps and no real open source app projects to make it easy for others to control their FastLED projects.

Looks like they started out as a Kickstarter project in 2016.

From the Kickstarter page:

“Most of our effects are coded in a pseudo-JavaScript language, with the aim of allowing our tech-savvy users to personalize Twinkly even more. With your help we plan to release a Twinkly simulator and an effects repository to draw inspiration from.”

“Smart lights recognition for precise animations: we use our patent-pending computer vision tech to understand how the lights are placed on your tree.”

"Twinkly recognizes the position of each single LED on your tree.

With Twinkly you can customize your effects starting from your own original ideas. To power this feature our app connects with the camera in your smart phone and begins a programmed sequence of illuminations to create a map of the positions of each LED on your tree."

Using the phone camera to map your layout is really cool.
I didn’t read anything about what type of pixels they used.

Looks cool, but a decent amount of complaints about the app in the Google play store. Also sounds like the Android version of the app lacks some features that the iOS version has.

Not gonna lie, these are really tempting. I’ve got 30 feet of strip in a reel waiting for me to cut up, channel out and code for my tree, but even with the cost of the arduino and a bluetooth module, it’s still almost 50% cheaper to do it myself. That said, it seems like way less of a headache to get a show-in-a-box.

Have a look at this @Christopher_Kirkman1

That looks beyond my current ability. First and foremost, I need to cut the strips into even lengths and assign each one a channel. At some point it will hopefully resemble a matrix, but my track record with wiring and coding medium sized stuff like this isn’t exactly spotless. I’ve got an old fashioned back-up set of lights from Home Depot in case I can’t get it all worked out before next Monday (last point I’ll have before a party ensues)

They probably use polar coordinates for the animation mapping on a cone. The product looks really nice. It was my project last year. Didn’t finish on time and i won’t again this Christmas. Too busy with more survival things :frowning: Thanks for the link to the LEDmap github.

Are the LED strings like these available as just the strings without the bluetooth and inflated price tag?

@Christopher_Kirkman1 I didn’t read exactly what LEDs are being used in that project, but yes there are various string lights (as opposed to LED strips) like those.
Search for: led string lights ws2812

Yeah, I think all of my searches have only resulted in the typical 12mm neopixel style strings (which I find a little bulky)

They might have been custom made for that Kickstarter.

PL9823 or newer APA106 5mm frosted LEDS would look much nicer than the big 12mm WS2811B strings.

I don’t believe this is using FastLED, but here’s another project that used code to automate the mapping of their layout.