Windows 10 issues Driver won't run

Installed Windows 10 and tried to install the driver smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.1.exe as administrator and as regular login and it errors out “This app can’t run on your PC To find a version for your PC, check with the software publishers”. Well this is why I’m an early adopter, hoping to get these kinds of things fleshed out. Any help would be great.

Imported from wikidot

I’m not sure if this is related or not, but there have been numerous issues with USB communication in Windows 10. There were some major bugs reported all the way back with their developer builds many months ago, and as far as I can tell, none of them have been fixed. The issues affected COM port serial communication, and it would cause the serial driver to randomly stall for long periods of time. This obviously causes big problems during printing since an hour into your print, the serial driver would just stop functioning completely. Some people thought it might be related to the new energy savings stuff in Win10, but hard to know for sure.

There’s a few threads on the microsoft site about as well as other places, so until they get it fixed, I’d probably try to avoid Windows 10 for USB serial stuff.

I’m going to use a different computer for the Smoothieboard interface. No big deal, just another monitor on the desk.

OK, got the windows 10 problem fixed. Got rid of Windows 10. Even my cell phone wasn’t being recognized.

Try running it in Windows compatibility mode.

Here’s the rub with running in Windows Compatibility mode in windows 10. Windows 10 doesn’t have a compatibility mode. It does have Check Compatibility option. Read on the web about running virtual PC to solve compatibility issues. Can’t download it from the Microsoft site using Chrome. When using Internet Explorer, IE has an option to show all (IE thinks some of the information on the Microsoft website isn’t secure) After show all is selected, you can then download using IE. After that, Virtual PC won’t run in windows 10. Yeee haaaa. Well, I’ll just use a different computer for the printer. Gotta love it. It was a free upgrade.

this makes me sad. just got my board and upgraded last week. need to find another PC

(Wait this is 6 years old and imported from the old forum, why did I get a notification about this ??? // oh, spam, I see it now, nevermind then, I’ll leave my answer just in case somebody finds this and needs to read the info )

For Windows 10, you MUST NOT install the drivers. Simply use the board as-is. There’s really no need for drivers for any of this, previous verisons of windows needed a so-called driver that was really just one line telling it “use that, you already know how”, it was a useless cumbersome thing.

That was removed in Win10, no need for a driver in Win10 (as written in windows-drivers [Smoothieware])

A few users have had issues by installing the driver in Win10 when they shouldn’t have, which then caused issues, so really really don’t do that.

3 Likes