What's the deal with people posting items on Thingiverse with the default orientation such

What’s the deal with people posting items on Thingiverse with the default orientation such that they can’t be printed on a FDM machine?
And, before you say “maybe they’re designed for other 3D printing technology”, the latest example I encountered was a RepRap part.
The description even said that it had to be reoriented before it would print properly.

WTFail?

While I think many people on thingiverse have FDM printers, I think there’s a interim step between modeling and generating Gcode. I imagine that people do their orientation in their slicing program, along with all the other printer specific needs.

The nice thing about programmatic based cad is that you can easily switch between both.

@Aaron_Eiche , slic3r does not orient in certain planes. It will only rotate a part around the Z axis.

This is one of the reasons I recommend repetierHost, you can reorient the part before sending it through slic3r.

Also, any slicing program that allows you to rotate around axes other than Z will probably also let you save the rotated STL.

If you use solidworks, the “front” plane would be the platform.

Yeah this drives me nuts too. I flip em around in netfab studio to fix it.

I do as @Addidis_no does, then upload to Thingiverse as a “proper” version :]

@Diego_Porqueras_Deez
SolidWorks is the only CAD program I know of that considers the Y axis as “up”. The convention among all other programs is Z is up. It’s annoying as hell when you import a SolidWorks model into any other CAD program.