What modeling software do you use? EDIT:

What modeling software do you use?

EDIT: I downloaded 360 so we’ll see how it goes.

So I’m looking for a free 3D modeling software to use at home in case I don’t want to bring my laptop home from work. It doesn’t have to be fancy by any means as anything that’s technical I’ll just make sure to use my work PC. I just basically want something where I can make a box and add or remove material by making sketches and extruding them. Any suggestions?

Sketchup, which I think Trimble owns now, is pretty good for quick modeling. I think you have to jump through some hoops to export models in a usable format if you’re using the free version. My friends who use Windows swear by Autocad360. I know a lot of people using it and they really do like it. I use FreeCAD. It has some bugs but it is quite usable. Part of the reason I like it is it allows me to make models by solid modeling (make a cube, make a sphere, stick them together, join them) or by drafting (draw my part outline, extrude it upwards, draw holes, drill them through) or programmatically, because it includes openSCAD inside it. That’s another option, but openSCAD has quite a learning curve. There’s no drawing at all: you write a program that tells it what to do. But if you need two-axis helical lofting, it’s the way to go.

Well you say modeling software but describe CAD software.
In either case Blender is free and multi-platform 3D modeling software.
For a quick and easy way to throw around a few shapes etc like you describe, TinkerCAD is hard to beat.
Don’t let its simple appearance and UI fool you it’s quite powerful. Be sure to take the intro tutorial they offer you when you sign up, then hit YouTube for further expanding your skills with it.

I’ve used FreeCAD and Fusion360. Fusion more of late.

I use Fusion 360.

I would said, fusion 360, its kinda “Free” if you get the startup license, but if you want a trully free program, get your self on blender, saw a lot of good reviews about, been thinking on learn it a little bit my self

Fusion is great. I use Solidworks as my main and have to say that I have never felt like fusion lagged behind it for more basic designs.

Onshape gets you running on PC, Linux and Mac. Free as long as you’re willing to have your model public.

Ok so I jumped through some hoops with Fusion 360 and so far so good with getting a “hobbyist” license. It seems like this will probably do the trick, I just have to figure out how to use it. lol. I use Creo at work so using something like this or Solidworks can be a little difficult but once I figure out where all the buttons are, I’m sure it’ll be fine. Thanks for all the input guys!

Solvespace, lightweight, easy to use, free and open source, no strings attached. http://solvespace.com/index.pl

I cannot recommend fusion 360 enough

If you’re going to go the Fusion 360 direction, you might as well go with FreeCAD. Then at least you’ve put all that learning curve effort into something that’s not crippled in the free version. Plus it runs native, on multiple platforms, without Internet access.

I tried using freecad. It constantly had issues, crashed way more often then f360, and felt less mature and sleak. The free version doesn’t feel crippled to me, and the paid version is frankly not expensive enough for me to be unable to justify the cost.

@Justin_Nesselrotte
I’ll assume that was on Windows based on your use of Fusion360, and yes it is less stable there due that being a port. Linux and Mac versions are better experiences due to having standard libraries and interfaces (eg X-win, OpenGL, etc.)

Good luck with F360.

For anyone else, don’t write off TinkerCAD as a “toy”. It’s way more powerful than it looks, much easier to use than F360, OnShape, FreeCAD etc, and has a much better UX overall. It may be more than most people ever need for making their own 3D designs.
At the least give it a try before you pay for some other software.

I used the Linux version of freecad and the mac version of fusion 360 primarily although I’ve used it on Windows before too.

F360 has been working well for me for over a year now.

Today’s best news!!!
I use fusion 360 for free, don’t believe me, then checkout my page.

I totally recommend Fusion 360
#Autodeskfusion360
Anyone thinking of buying this amazing tool should do so now. The standard license price is $310 per year forever if you keep renewing, going up to $495 in October.
The ultimate package license of $1595 coming down to $495, however, because of this radical pricing restructuring, current ultimate license holders who continue their subscription get it free for the next two years then it goes to $495.
Now here is the best part, all other users get to use it for free with a bump up in function.

@Errison_Zelaya your posts read as spam. Do you work for Autodesk?

@Justin_Nesselrotte Justin I am a retired Carpenter and work for no one. I started learning fusion360 two years ago from youtube video, I use it for free with an enthusiast license. If make things you will find this is the easiest program to learn. I recommend 1000%, it’s that good. If you like do a search in google for Z-751 drone.

Any hobbyist that pays $300-$500 per year for CAD software is either rich or insane.