What kind of jig do you use to line up small items on the bed?

I want to line up multiple small items on my bed to do batch cuts. For example running off a dozen country fair style dog tags or key chains.

Does anyone here use some kind of jig for this, or do you eyeball everything?

I would put paper or card on the bed, then run the job on low power setting (just enough to mark), then you can place your pieces on the new template.

Dont forget to adjust for the thickness of the material.

I was wondering if ply would do. Just cut out the shapes and slot the blanks in to the holes

Ply would work for multiple jobs.

If you are intending removing \ replacing the jig between jobs, consider how you will index when you put it back in.

1 Like

I second this. Indexing your jig is just as important as the jig itself.

I have some 3D printed tabs that i bump my jigs up against to help with indexing. Still working on not melting them though!!!

3 Likes

I was going to make up a pegboard that sat under the machine with holes for the legs to sit in so that it was always in the same place.

Have you uploaded them anywhere for the community, I’d love to see what you’ve done in this regard.

Jigs will likely be a bit different depending on if you are cutting or engraving. Cutting means you need full access to the space below to make sure the fume extraction AND air assist can keep lean cuts. Engraving means you can put many different options down around your parts and under your parts. for example you could put down a steel plate and use magnets round the edges of your part(s).

Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

1 Like