What is the Difference between Cloudray AR verses CR series 36-45w CO2 Laser tubes?

Doug,

Good idea on just running it from a flash drive to try it but then do you have access to all your hard drive programs like say Lightburn?

RussA

You aren’t going to run the windows version of lightburn from Linux though. You would use the Linux version of lightburn to run on Linux.

You will have the ability to access the drive, but it’s not just a new interface for Windows programs to run on. :relaxed:

If your harddrive is Windows or Mac then you won’t be running those from the Linux based live USB. But I have installed LightBurn in a live USB session, put in my license key and ran it just fine. There is something called a persistent partition which allows you to keep things you installed in the live session but that’s a bit advanced for a new user.

I mentioned the live USB drive in order to get familiar with Linux and even try out a few distributions before doing any installing. There’s no fear of doing any damage and you just reboot back to whatever OS you already have on the HD. But I have run workshops using live USB drives and created custom ISO images with NVidia CUDA optimizations for Convolutional Neural Network projects and even Photogramy. Some of my ISO’s I even have setup on my computer to boot via Grub directly from the HD instead of from a USB drive. It’s really a great tool to know how to use.

Thanks Doug and others . … appreciate all feedback! Can anyone send me a link or how to setup a Live USB for Linux? Seems like the best way to go . I can Google this but I’m sure someone has the best easiest method to do this for a newbie like me. Also just in general why does Linux have so many versions…is it different platforms and some like one verses the other? Can you recommend a resource book or site link to get me more familiar with options so I can decide which version. I want to create a Live USB ? Thanks to all feedback.

RussA

Thanks Michael. Funny thing… I was very interested in converting over to Linux about a year ago but after doing a little research, the task seemed daunting and just didn’t have the right contacts to help me along. Now in this Laser forum, I believe there is a wealth of knowledge I can use to help get me started on Linux. I think setting up a USB live session that someone mentioned may be the easiest way to learn Linux and have a fall back while I learn. I think I have identified some good resource books for beginners just need a little help with USB setup techniques and any suggestions.

Thank you and the group for all great feedback!

RussA

1 Like

There’s this:

and then I use Etcher sometimes:

As I mentioned, Kubuntu has menus and a look which might look like Windows once did(?) and I believe you’d want the 20.04 version just because that’s what LightBurn supports at this time.

Lots of people like Linux Mint since it comes loaded with usability stuff and I’ve read Zorin OS might be a good one to try too but I’ve not tried it yet.

This is a goodish list:

But maybe it should be Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Zorin, ChromeOS, etc.

Once you get past the USB flashing process you will be surprised at how fun it is to try different versions of Linux. Often the OS under the hood is very similar and it’s just the desktop and pre-packaged software which makes the distribution unique.

1 Like

Much appreciated Doug! All I need to get started. Let you know if I have any questions as I learn. Got my hands wrapped around several Fly rod jobs I need to get out the door to clients so it may take a while for me to get launched.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!! Can’t wait to learn this stuff and push MS Windows off my desktop and perfect time to use it with my K40 laser .

RussA

The most commonly used Fedora installer is a live ISO that gives you the opportunity to try it out, and at such a time as you are ready to put it on the hard drive, start the installer going.

GNOME, the default desktop environment in the primary build of Fedora, isn’t exactly the same as either Windows or Mac, but the UI had a lot of human factors research put into it specifically to make it usable for folks who aren’t experts. It’s why folks with more experience (like me) feel the need to tweak it. But the defaults were set up to be accessible without being an expert.

Lightburn should run on most Linux distributions; I believe that Ubuntu and Fedora are the two best supported.

Thanks Michael. Have actually heard about Fedora. Some many options here. I grew up with MSDOS and ran one of the original Compaq portables (10 mb hard drive)…guess that shows my age. Before Windows entered the business environment we used IBM OS2 and then Windows but have also used CPM and run PCs I set up with multiple operating systems I used, MSDOS, Windows , OS2 and CPM. Reason for CPM is I ran an AI program I used as a process engineer to make chemical process operations decisions. So I have always had some type of operations reason or business environment driving my need to use one PC interface operating system or another. Also served as an operations director for an IT development team coordinating the roll out of several database platforms and we rolled out what we called the first Windows based “Integrated Desktop” with email and Office suite and social media platforms for our field operations. So not like I haven’t done some work with IT operating systems and always wanted to learn Linux. Now building custom fly rods in my retirement but always learning…so the reason for learning to utilize the K40 laser in my business.

Thanks for information. I will check it out. It’s great to have this wealth of experienced people to talk to on this forum…have not found any better on Facebook or other platforms.

RussA

Doug,

Trying to set up my Kubuntu bootable flash drive and it’s asking for ISO file ? How do I set this up if I want to run Lightburn which is installed on my hard drive…search for its ISO file?

correct, to make a bootable USB thumbdrive you typically need some media which contains the OS you are trying to make bootable on a USB thumbdrive. To get that it’s usually stored as an ISO file on some web site. For example, I googled “kubuntu download” and got to the page which had both the 22.10 version and the 20.04.5 version which is what you would want for Lightburn.
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/20.04.5/release/kubuntu-20.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso

I see it mentioned again about running a version of Lightburn which is on your hard disk and that concerns me. Do you understand for which operating system that version of LightBurn is for and do you know where all the installation files went?

Some programs made for Windows can be run on Linux PCs through a mechanism called WINE but that NOT how you’d want to run LightBurn since they make a Linux compatible version. Microsoft has made darn certain Windows programs do not naturally run on anything but Microsoft operating systems. ““darn certain””

Thanks Doug. Try that…not knowing I got to that same site but downloaded Kubuntu into a folder on my PC hard drive.

1 Like

Purchased my Lightburn version from Omtech directly as follows:

https://omtechlaser.com/products/lightburn-software-usb-ligh-bu?_pos=2&_sid=fa2e0c572&_ss=r

Here is what it’s states on compatibility:

LightBurn Laser Cutter Software Compatibility

LightBurn laser software is a native application written for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It is considered the premier PC and Mac laser engraver software available.

So it should be ok for either Windows or Linux.

That’s not how it works, sorry.

You will need to download lightburn for Linux to use it.

I installed my Lightburn copy on Windows but If can be reinstalled one more time on another Linux our Lightburn PC. For right now , I just want to run Kubuntu via live USB . If I can run Lightburn via this Kubuntu flash disk great! If not then I have already tried the install from windows and it works …this is where all file are located

RussA

Ok. Thanks for confirmation Michael. My copy works on Windows so I guess this is what I need to use. Doesn’t preclude me from checking out Linux .

Russ, have you already upgraded the controller on the K40 and if so which controller are you using? The M2Nano controller which comes stock with most K40s works well with K40 Whisperer but to turn LightBurn many upgrade to GRBL or Smoothie compatible controllers for which LightBurn charges $60 for a license(any OS version - one license). The Ruida controllers are nice but not only do they cost almost as much as the K40 itself they require additional driver modules and often a 24V power supply too and the LightBurn license is 2x the price too.

So what controller do you have in your K40 now? Picture?

Doug,

This newbie is taking things a step at a time. Step one is to test my K40 “as found” for warranty and return basis. Therefore I am currently using a stock main board and K40 whisper and laserDRW. See photo requested of my motherboard.

RussA4920

1 Like

Doug,

Once my “as found” K40 stock system is fully tested then I have purchased both the LightBurn software license key, Windows compatible along with their recommended Lightburn compatible motherboard for K40 as follows:

K40 BOARD UPGRADE

Download The Manual

K40 LIGHTBURN COMPATIBLE: This upgraded K40 motherboard makes LightBurn work with your K40 laser engraver. The 24V K40+ control board is packed with cutting-edge features to bring new capabilities to your 40W laser engraving machine.

COMPATIBLE LASER ENGRAVERS: This K40 motherboard upgrade is compatible with all OMTech 40W Desktop Laser Engraving Machines. For other laser brands or custom builds, you will need a type B USB cable to connect your control computer. Also check the specifications section below to ensure pin compatibility.

SUPERIOR FUNCTIONALITY: This circuit board’s open source Smoothie firmware comes preinstalled and preflashed on its 512MB MicroSD card, able to work with your Windows, Linux, or MacOS edition of LightBurn to create breathtakingly intricate photorealistic grayscale images as quickly and easily as standard patterns.

Aware of the other Ruida controllers and want no part of this g for my K40.

Thanks for your assist.

Have a good day.

Russa4920

Good work Russ, you are doing exactly the right thing by getting to know the K40 and getting familiar with laser cutting and engraving terminology and workflow. I do recommend you work with your K40 with K40 Whisperer for a few months before doing the controller and software upgrade. There’s lots to get to know. And please, please, please read through the K40 Intro link at the top of this page. I went through all sections of the Quick Help sections on this page when I started and learned lots about what I had, what I needed and didn’t need to operate the machine safely and so it lasted a good long time. https://k40.se

1 Like