What is an off the shelf item I can use as a "silicone strip"

What is an off the shelf item I can use as a “silicone strip” for a nozzle wiper? So far I have found references to silicone baking mat, which seems thin.

Or other options for high temp rubbers?

Silicon heat transfer material, available on ebay in various sizes and thicknesses.

@funinthefalls would that, uh, transfer itself onto the hot item touching it?

Also, just found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SQUARE-1-4-THICK-SILICONE-RUBBER-SHEET-HIGH-TEMP-SOLID-RED-ORANGE-GRADE-/222229614911

They are used in place of thermal transfer paste on GPU’s and other items needing heat sinks.

The one you linked to would work well I think.

You can purchase rolled silicone from Aircraft Spruce. It’s used for sealing the baffles in the cooling system. About 2 inches wide and 3/16 thick

From what I’ve found on our lulzbots, the wiping action has to have something to catch the plastic. Something like silicone would resist it and in my opinion not clear it particularly well. If you want to go that route I would get something that is ribbed, perhaps an oven glove with grips to it.

@Griffin_Paquette I’m actually thinking to put the dump bucket or wiper on a servo so that the nozzle can travel to the inside of it without catching, and then it would move up so the nozzle catches it on the way out. What do you think?

You mean like this project escher? https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Nn5AGpC2aaw

Yes, like exactly what starts happening at 1:15

This one intermittent up to 260°c I guess you can cut it to shape? I’m actually thinking about the same thing here… Hmm

With link… SILICONE RUBBER SHEET HIGH TEMP SOLID RED/ORANGE COMMERCIAL GRADE 8" x 8" x 1/8" (E 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XLVN5ZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zS.HybN64DNYX

I would use a short length of silicone tubing. Move the nozzle inside the tube, extrude a little to prime the nozzle, then move sideways out of it. Bonus points if you can create code to make it move in a random direction each time it leaves the tube.

What about an rubber oven cloth / pot holder thing? (The English name eludes me).
I have a pair, and they are pretty thick. Don’t know the material but I’m guessing silicone of some sort. I use the bumpy parts of it instead of springs on my wades.

A thin baking mat will probably also work if you mount it bowed and not make it too tall.

Shout out if you want me to send you a cutoff. If I can find them that is…

Use cork

@Tiago_Vale

“The thermochemical degradation of cork from Quercus suber L. was studied in the temperature range 150°C–450°C in relation to mass loss, chemical composition and the influence on the cellular structure. The degradation of cork is strongly dependent on temperature and mass losses become significant at 200°C (15% of initial dry weight) and increase rapidly for higher temperatures (27% at 250 °C, 49% at 300 °C, 62% at 350 °C) until ashing at 450 °C. The polysaccharides are the most heat sensitive components: at 200 °C, hemicelluloses disappear and cellulose is degraded to a considerable extent. Suberin is more resistant and degradation starts at approx. 250 °C; 300 °C-treated samples only contain 7% suberin.”