What flux do I need to solder galvanised steel wire?

I’d like to have a go at building a marble roller coaster like in this video How to make a STEEL MARBLE TRACK with basic tools! step by step guide - YouTube

I’m new to soldering, having only used my soldering iron a few times without flux to join some small wires. The video recommends this flux https://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffon-Universal-Soft-Soldering-Flux/dp/B01G63VLM0 but it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK. I imagine there would be a UK version but I’m not sure what to search for.

Never soldered galvanized wire. I have however stripped the galvanizing off with muriatic or sulphuric acid (don’t breath it) and then brazed it. Need lots of heat!

Never soldered galvanized wire. I have however stripped the galvanizing off with muriatic or sulphuric acid (don’t breath it) and then brazed it. Need lots of heat!

@Nedman ???

Found this: Can I solder galvanized wire?
" To solder galvanize: degrease the area to be soldered , use an acid soldering flux, you will probably need some mechanical abrasion WHILE soldering to get the solder to adhere. The result of welding galvanized steel is zinc oxide, which is non-toxic and non carcinogenic."

However the Griffon stuff is acid free: S-39® Universal Products - Griffon

1 Like

Personally I would do it with brass. It’s easy to work with and easy to solder.

2 Likes

What gauge wire would you recommend? I’m not familiar with brass.

In that video he’s sanding the wire pretty well so the galvanizing is probably being removed that way?

Probably any soft flux would work.