Vocabulary question

I’d like to buy online something but I don’tknow how it’s called. Even in French, it’s difficult.
What is the name of the helicoidal plastic rubber protection put around some electric wires ?

I’ll try to add some pictures later…
Thanks for your help

“Spiral wire loom” is the term I know. There may be others?

2 Likes

This stuff?

3 Likes

That’s it,thank you both. You’re great!

1 Like

There is spiral wrap but also wire loom (which is not helicoidical)

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen both loom and wrap used for the spiral. Almost always “split loom” for the stuff with a straight slit cut in the side.

In general, a wire loom is a bundle of loose wires that is potentially more complex than a harness, but by extension is one of several kinds of wrapping to prevent chafing and/or neaten the bundle as well.

2 Likes

I became curious and looked at amazon.fr and it’s clear that at least the sellers there don’t have a single term of art for this in French, either. A bunch of the names are in franglish. A selection of the names that look more French than franglish: gérer cordon, câble spirale, spirale gestionnaire, gérer câble, cordon ordinateur gérer

1 Like

Actually, it’s more nonsense obtained via automatic translation. “gérer” is the verb “to manage”, which has no connection with a spiral rubber protection for cables…
This word “gérer” appears very frequently in the descriptions of articles on Aliexpress or Amazon, don’t know why…

2 Likes

I agree that it is probably an automatic translation problem, but it seems that this does fall into wire / cable management.

I have been saying for a few years now that using Google effectively feels like being a wizard. It is magical if you know the correct words to use in your incantation. :wink:

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” - Arthur C. Clarke.

2 Likes

Speaking of magic.

My new hearing aid translates on the fly … no joke!

3 Likes

Whoa, that’s so cool.

@donkjr

What if you lose or you’re fly dies?

1 Like

If the fly dies I will just tie another one…

3 Likes

This sounds amazing. How does it choose the correct language? More details, make etc please.

There is a screen in the phone app where you set the from-to languages.
I think it simply used the phone as an intermediary to do translation because I had to provide my Google account to use it.

It does not change languages on the fly…

2 Likes