Vigotec VG-L7 (BX20)

Finally figured my L7 out I think. Opened the “Read This” note in the software and it says to use the basic firmware when you want to use other software. I naturally installed the latest when I set mine up.SO. I went back and installed the ‘basic’ and low and behold LB is running. So here is the ‘note’ and good luck to you all!
**4.If you have other control software and want to use it, please upload the standard grbl firmware named ‘Standard_Grbl_1.1f.hex’. Or if you have the appropriative firmware just for the control software, upload it ! If you want to use other engraving machine control softwares, please update the firmware of engraving machine motherboard to general firmware. **

2 Likes

Hi Mark Fargotstein
I see you have Vigo L7s, my kids got me one as a present, after making an enclosure for it, I ran into some snags, one of which I have sorted so I can now use Lightburn. Before that I need to use their own software and this is the problem, I focus with the weak light then turn it off and try burning a pic from the gallery ie transformers logo, after turning the laser on hit start (outline) and it all tracks perfectly but the laser doesn’t burn anything, I turn up the power and you can barely see it. I then tried pressing the button next to the weak light, great laser on, burnt hole at start point, hit start button great burns the image but burns track lines as it moves between each part of the image. I know I am not doing something wrong or a setting is wrong but being a complete noob at this I just need some advice to put me right then I can practice til I get it right. I have searched online for answers but nothing covers this. Thank you in advance.

Sorry I cannot help you as I have had my L7 at least 6 months and have not been able to get it working. I have a 3d printer rather 2 and can check and alter the firmware but I can not get the firmware uploaded on this machine. I would like to know if you just connected everything together switched on Pc connected Printer cable and uploaded the driver and firmware straight foreward with no problems, I can open the interface and at the top left I can seen in green print firmware 2,2 etc does this mean that firmware is loaded to the L7 or just to the interface as nothing moves, x or y axis see attachment if there is a place to upload.

Hi, I have this laser model and works just fine with lightburn. You just have to upload general firmware provided by vigotec with the Xloader also provided. Read the .txt file that comes with the original software, its all there.

3 Likes

@LuA_Knives welcome to Maker Forums! Since this question has been asked a lot, do you mind sharing a link to the general firmware provided by vigotec? I suspect it would help a lot of people.

Sure, no problem. Ill explain step by step.
Open www.vigotec.cn
Download file VG-L7 laser engraver
Open file and extract all
(Read the “ReadMe important” file, it has all explaind).
Open "driver_and_upload_tools file.
Open “Xloader” file
On “Hex file” open “Standard_Grbl_v1.1f.hex” file
On “device” select “Uno…”
Select the port you have
And “baud rate” must have “115200”
Upload!!!
Takes some time. When uploaded it must be ready to use any laser software (except the original vigotec).
That’s it my friends, hope to have helped in any way. Sorry for my english, im portuguese. Any doubt just reach me by DM me on my instagram @LuA_Knives
Regards, José Silva

3 Likes

Bonus…
With a small and easy hack it engraves metal!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for adding the details for the firmware install. :slight_smile: Is the metal engraving hack you refer to using moly lube?

No sir. Mustard layer.

3 Likes

Ah yes the mustard hack, forgot about that one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me its the best working hack. All my knife finishing are brut de forge. Carbon steel.

2 Likes

I have no electronics experience, but I have again taken the cover off my VG-L7 (BX20). I feel the problem is with the small control board (Neje laser module) that came with the laser. I have the feeling that the VG controler can go direct to the laser. I have again added some pics with a wiring diagram as it is wired up. The wiring at present will not control the laser at all. only run the motors.
It is the green cable which goes from the small module to the laser, the 3 cores red, yell and black could these go direct and is there a cable that can connect to the green cable.
I dearly hope someone can help me I have had this machine at least 18 months. Probably the best idea would be change the software buy a new controler and try a fresh start. In the meantime I have my fingers crossed that you or some electronic person can help me.

I honestly cannot figure out what would be the issue unless you have something wired wrong, or the firmware is corrupted. I’ve never heard of having to use 2 power supplies unless you have a bad one, or, as I said before, its wired wrong? Also, I’ve found that the machine is picky as to which usb port I use on my laptop. Here are pictures of it being wired correctly.
My apologies for not responding sooner, I just saw these emails from maker forum because others got buried andi just missed them.

3 Likes

Wait whut?!? What is this Hack that can allow me to deal with metals?

It’s spreading a thin layer of mustard on the metal and then etching over it. Leaves a black image mark.

It’s been discussed here before. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And here!

2 Likes

Thanks Mark for your assumption, I will check this out further, a 3 core cable goes from the controller to the laser which is suppling power, 12v I think cant remember but I tested it. As I said the swiches Laser on and Laser low switch to on or off but do not control the laser. You dont need to opologise, better late than never. Now I can investigate as I didnt know if the 2nd power to laser was needed.

Hello Mark, I have checked the wiring which appears that it can only be wired as it is but I could be wrong.I will attach photos showing the small controller which came with the laser, I had thought maybe I dont need this . But the one problem is the laser has a 4 pole socket. My original controller which I have replaced because the socket for the printer cable broke away as only 2 from the 4 soldered fixings were not soldered. This controller has 2 cables for the laser, 1x 3core and 1x 2core. These 2 cable will not fit to a 4 pole laser connection. That is why I used the controller which came wioth the laser. the 2 cable 2 and 3 pole fit to this small controler and a 4 core cable supplied with the laser goes to the Laser, The laser ich habe is a KKmoon 3500mW / 6000 mW / 7000 mW / 20 W Watt 450nm Blaulicht Laserko photo sketch as wired witth 12v, without 12v nothing happens. Hope you find a solution.

pf. 7000mW

Hello Mark, have you seen my reply with pics of the wiring?

Hello everyone!

Also bought the same unit & brand VG-L7 (BX20) last March. I’ve been very happy with it and made a lot projects that sold of.

However, recently the laser strength seems to have weakened. It began after I have used the machine for 6 hours straight, only stopping a minute or two to change wooden pine boards then continue engraving. After that day, the laser strength is no longer the same.

Without changing any parameters on the software, or focus on the laser lens. It can no longer engrave deeply as it used to. In some instances it cannot even etched on a portion of a letter being engraved on the wood.

QUESTION: Is this a sign that the laser module laserhead needs to be replaced? Thank you in advance for your answers!

I hope this also serve as a red light not to abused your laser as I just did.