(VIDEO) Troubleshoot "Ghosting" of LEDs in Snake Game "Setup" Latest Arduino IDE Arduino Uno

(VIDEO) Troubleshoot “Ghosting” of LEDs in Snake Game

“Setup”

Latest Arduino IDE

Arduino Uno

SK6812 NeoPixel RGB LEDs

I am trying to recreate “snake game” but sometimes when the snake eats the fruit, LEDs light up that should not light up. I cannot tell why. Also, something is wrong with my makeFruit() function because it generates “fruit” on LEDs that are already taken by the snake.

Any help/feedback is very appreciated.

Thanks,
https://github.com/JendoRiot/SnakeGame/blob/master/FullCode

Your fruitspaceavailable is one source of problems - you don’t need the nested for loops over the game area in there, it would be enough to do:

boolean fruitSpaceAvailable( int a, int b) {
If(a == HEAD_POSITION_X && b == HEAD_POSITION_Y) { return false; }

for(int i = 0; i < SNAKE_BODY_LENGTH; i++) {
If( a == SNAKE_BODY_X[i] && b == SNAKE_BODY_Y[i]) {
return false;
}
}
return true;
}

Also, at the beginning of your logic function, you should always move snake body length + 1 elements, to account for the possibility that the snake might get 1 longer. Also you can simplify the logic greatly by going backwards:

for( int x = SNAKE_BODY_LENGTH; x > 0; x—) {
SNAKE_BODY_X[x] = SNAKE_BODY_X[x-1];
SNAKE_BODY_Y[x] = SNAKE_BODY_Y[x-1];
}

SNAKE_BODY_X[0] = HEAD_POSITION_X;
SNAKE_BODY_Y[0] = HEAD_POSITION_Y;

Finally, in your draw function, you don’t need the for loops over the game area - you can just set the leds directly:

void Draw() {
leds[XY0(HEAD_POSITION_X, HEAD_POSITION_Y)] = CRGB::SNAKE_HEAD_COLOR; // sets LED for HEAD
leds[XY0(fruitX, fruitY)] = CRGB::FRUIT_COLOR; // sets LED for Fruit
for (int k = 0; k < SNAKE_BODY_LENGTH; k++)
{
leds[XY0(SNAKE_BODY_X[k], SNAKE_BODY_Y[k])] = CRGB::SNAKE_BODY_COLOR; // sets LEDs for Snake Body

}

FastLED.show();

So your comments fixed my issues!!! Thank you! I still don’t understand where the “ghost” LEDs were coming from but I appreciate it greatly!!! Thank you very much @Daniel_Garcia

@Daniel_Garcia “at the beginning of your logic function, you should always move snake body length + 1 elements, to account for the possibility that the snake might get 1 longer”

Can you elaborate? I don’t understand the possibility of the snake getting 1 longer.