using Laserweb4 with Arduino GRBL-board and z-Spindle to move laser,

using Laserweb4 with Arduino GRBL-board and z-Spindle to move laser, achieving good engraving results on uneven surfaces.

However I am not sure about the control possibilities. I wish I could

• check size having test laser on
  • interrupt job, do z-jogging, continue job
  • go to xyZ-zero button
  • turn laser off (button not working)

Is there documentation on live jogging? I don`t know how to use it.

Thank you very much in advance.

What do you mean turn laser off not working? Does the laser never turn off?

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty @Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty it turns off after job completion, but not on pause job. the button “laser off” does not work at all for me.

Have you selected grbl profile from the settings to make sure you have the appropriate on / off values

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty in Settings-GRBL I defined Tool on/off to M3/M5. Is this sufficient?

i thought it uses M4 instead of M3 now for on command using the dynamic laser mode available in grbl, worth trying that. For stopping the laser and pausing you might try to make a macro command that sends the appropriate G code. And live jogging requires you to enable it, then alt-click where you want to move the laser head to that point(might be ctrl-click, been a while)

@Stefan_Geisenheiner you need to be at grbl 1.1 at least, then make sure you setup the default machine profile like here

I’ve written a manual page for it, but between the many migrations it went through, something seems to have gone wrong…

You can try whether this link still works for you:
https://cncpro.yurl.ch/documentation/machine-control/38-live-jogging

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty
-thank you. I am running GRBL1.1f and today I have changed the machine profile to GenericGRBL and ToolOn=M4. However the problems remain, Laser off not working, no check size with laser.
I will study how to write a macro.

@CescoAiel
thank you, but the link seems broken: “Cannot use string offset as an array”-error. Would be good to publish the manual page for control viewport

@Stefan_Geisenheiner1 did you change the whole profile or just manually added the M4? Also is laser mode enabled in GRBL?
The reason I ask you to do this is to make shure you are running defaults and we can troubleshoot correctly.

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty
understood, the whole profile was applied and GCODE-START includes M4 S0, which should enable laser TTL mode. I added ToolOn=M4 manually.

But should have added m4 , so if you had to do it manually then it makes me think it’s not the default

Some important grbl firmware settings here https://github.com/LaserWeb/LaserWeb4/wiki/2.1-Initial-Configuration-GRBL-1.1

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty hmm, to make sure I uninstalled Laserweb and started clean (I hope, please confirm if settings should be gone). However the generic GRBL settings on my installation do not set gcodeToolOn value.

@Ariel_Yahni_UniKpty thank you. my GRBL settings missed $32=1, so the laser mode was always off?

I corrected the problem with the Live Jogging Documentation. The new link is: https://cncpro.yurl.ch/documentation/machine-control/53-live-jogging

@cprezzi Excellent help, thank you for strating Machine Control documentation.

It is correct, that the default Generic GRBL profile has an empty Tool On. It’s not needed with M4, because M4 only fires during G1-G3 moves.

You can switch the laser on before clicking “Check Size” if you want to check the size with the laser switched on. Just make sure you configure “Tool Test Power” in settings/gcode.