Using arduino nano and: FastLED.addLeds<WS2811, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);

Using arduino nano and:
FastLED.addLeds<WS2811, DATA_PIN, RGB>(leds, NUM_LEDS);

My scope puts out 1’s and 0’s that are ws2812b as far as I can find from some google searching…

Using fastled 3.2.1

The problem is there are a lot of data sheets out there with a lot of different timings - the timings in that data sheet are closer to ws2811’s with ws2812 timings being closer to 250ns for a 0

The data sheets I used for each chipset were based on what the manufacturer was supplying at the time I did the timings - it’s unclear where the inaccuracy is though, in the data sheets or in the manufacturers.

(I also have ws2812b data sheets that show 400ns for a 0, as well as 250ns for a 0 - at the end of the day, have to pick one and go with it :slight_smile:

Ok thanks.

The real problem I’m trying to solve is why led strip “a” will drive led strip “b” but led strip b won’t drive led strip a.

This just popped up as confusing. So I can measure the timing of my 2 strips, but can’t know what the actual spec is unless I manually test its limits somehow.

Ps. Thanks for this software. All this stuff is so accessible because of people like you.

Probably because strip b has different timing requirements - a might have a more tightly define range of timing that’s within the parameters of b but not the other way around.

Unfortunately (at least for this here), the wa28xx chips reshape the signal at each chip, so if plugging strip a’s DIN to strip b’s DOUT doesn’t work, I don’t know how much can be done on the nano side to fix it, since at that point the signal timing is being determined by the led chip, not by what the nano was putting out.

Yes. My question here is just to find out why timing of fastled didn’t match my datasheet. There’s nothing nano can do to help me. My hope was to understand what led strip a protocol was and test led strips c/d/e… until I found a compatible one… got myself a 7m led Christmas tree that now requires scaffolding to be put up to fix after a hail storm. Any faulty leds (type “a”) will need to be replaced with type “a” leds removed from the end of the string and my new type “b” leds only inserted at the end of the strips.

FastLED didn’t match your data sheet because your data sheet doesn’t match the data sheets that I used when I first put in that timing code :slight_smile:

check out these 1’s .
Yellow:FastLED WS2811.
Blue:WS2811 (“A”)
Purple:WS2811(“B”)

missing/deleted image from Google+

For the variety of timings, in FastLED you can try WS2811, WS2812, SK6812, UCS1903B, UCS1904, and GW6205

For these chipsets the 0 timings are actually the more important one - because that’s where/how it differentiates between a 0 and a 1.

(And yes - sometimes when you order a set of leds that claim to be one chipset under the hood, they may often be a clone with slightly different timings)

At the price I’m paying it’s impressive anything works. 60c rs485 breakout boards, $25 5m 60l/m ws281? strips. I can’t really complain. $3 nano’s for testing (teensy’s for the real work). I think if i did this particular project again I would buy all the leds in one go. Anyhow. I understand a bit more now. Thanks. :slight_smile:

missing/deleted image from Google+

Nice! Please share video here of it all up and running - id love to see it!

Will do. I have nothing decent at the moment. It’s at the father in-laws place. I took 2 weeks off to wire his creations and I’ll be back up to visit at Christmas. In Cohuna (Victoria) if any Australians reading here.

@Daniel_Garcia Some video from tonight.

Teensy3.2
FastLED using octows2811 as controller (8 strips)
16x cheap rs485 breakouts which allow large distance between led teensy and also provide voltage level conversion from 3.3 to 5v.

Running another teensy for beat detection and HMI for manual sequence selection/debugging ommunicating with led teensy over rs485 also.

Has been a lot of fun.
Thanks for fastled :slight_smile:

Here’s some nrf24l01 (beat info) reindeer antlers to go with the rest of it.