USB Microscope yields new tool

Every once in a while the beams align while making and a surprise outcome is realized!

I set out to buy a USB microscope and follow the lead of some others to use this for focussing my laser diode engraver.

After some research, I chose this unit; https://amzn.to/3lnjjEq

It worked right out of the box (connects like a webcam) including my Windows PC and Android phone.

It came with a nice zipper case, holder, software disk, USB adapter, and graticule.

I was happy with the image it created and even if it does not end up being the best way to measure focus I will use it for electronics projects and measuring images.

PC connection

Android connection

Then an interesting thing happened. I got an email from the seller offering me a deal. Write a 5star review and they would send me a free metal microscope stage.

I had been here many times before. Write a review and then the promised thing never arrives.
This was different. I was ok writing a 5 review because I was very happy with the unit. I let the seller know by sending a screenshot of the review and then to my shock and awe … the thing arrived.

It really was made of metal. In fact, it was well made not the plastic junk you usually get for free!

Then here is where the beams aligned.
I had been sketching up a design for a tool to help properly insert plastic fasteners. My manual soldering iron approach had gotten painstaking and never resulted in a straight insert.
Then it hit me that I could use this microscope stage to install heat inserts using a woodburning iron I already had and this new stage.

After making an adapter for the iron and turning threaded heads that fit all sizes of my inserts I had a new tool.

An example head … heh needs some cleanup!

Go figure!

3 Likes

That’s great. Looks like the stand costs the same as the microscope on Amazon.

Are you cranking down the “focus” knob on the stand to push the insert?

@donkjr You just magnified the reason why reading this forum can be hazardous to your pocketbook!

Even though I have a standalone microscope, this will be a great addition to my workbench since I added the PC and now have a large monitor available.

2 Likes

@HalfNormal glad to add to your tool box and help you spend your money … like you have done for me many times :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

Yes, I wait until the insert is hot and then gently rotate the racks knob to insert it. You have to be careful or the head will melt into the surface. Thinking of adding a heat barrier above the insert.

1 Like

Nice idea.
I have a minidrill (dremel equivalent) stand that could perhaps be used in a similar way.

For added featuritis (or if you don’t have a conveniently spare soldering iron) a 3d printer extruder (complete with temperature controller) could be used to make one operate at the perfect temperature (whatever that is).

4 Likes

Well I finally had time to play with the USB microscope. It is really not bad for the price. It is a 640 x 480 camera. The picture was very clear on my monitor so I will not complain. It looks like the camera is the same one that is integrated into the all in one that I purchased awhile ago. I am including a picture below. In the included instructions, they say that if you email them, they will offer you a great deal on a metal stand. When I went to the website to download some additional software, I was greeted with an offer of a free stand by just emailing them my Amazon order number. It was different than the one in the instructions so I emailed them both. We will see what transpires. Bottom line, it is a good microscope for the money even without the stand. It will be used. Thanks Don! (said with dripping sarcasm!!)

1 Like

Glad to return the favor of filling your shop with tools you did not know you needed!

2 Likes

The stand arrived today. I was surprised that it actually came with its own case. Not bad to get the camera and stand for the price.

1 Like

Ya, guess I forgot to mention that :slight_smile:

2 Likes