Upgraded the extruder on my Makerbot Replicator 2x to this new design which Daniel

Upgraded the extruder on my Makerbot Replicator 2x to this new design which @Daniel_Noree and @David_Baron suggested. I am printing a test part using the profile for makerware @David_Baron posted.

It is looking good so far. :slight_smile:

Interesting. Update when done. Feel a bit guilty now, because I forgot to update the profile in the pastebin. Did you lower the retract also as I mentioned? Absolutely no guarantee that the high retract I used will cause problems, but I might. Will update the profile tomorrow morning for future reference.

@David_Baron don’t worry about it. I just used the profile straight from pastebin. It is a good starting point and so far the print looks decent. I wanted to print a part with your settings as a starting point. Then I can tweak stuff. Honestly, it is much better than starting with the raw ABS profile.

Nice, only negative thing about the tires is the long print time. But totally so worth it, impressive design and cool print. Many shells and low infill made the tires a very good “debsity”, they felt pretty similar to “real” RC tires I had laying around.

@Joshua_Updyke is there another file format available to download than stl?I cant edit the stl or stp whatever is on grabcad which is further complicating this conversion…, @Daniel_Noree you know anything?

@Abc_Def I do a lot of work with 3d models so I am very familiar with this.

.stl files are the typical file used for 3d printing. They are not editable in any simple manner and basically what you see is what you get. Also, they are not the ‘true’ geometry in most cases. It is a close approximation using triangles. You can scale and rotate .stls, but not much more without specialized software. (ugh I deal with this a lot at work)

The .stp or .step is the most common format used to share files between one CAD software package to another. However, it is similar to a PDF version of a Word document. You can look at everything but not really change it. When you import a .step in most CAD programs it creates a new part with ‘imported geometry.’ Depending on your software you can do limited things with it.

I can not remember off the top of my head which CAD program that @Daniel_Noree created the files in, but I remember it was not one of the big names in CAD. I am not judging or anything. Daniel was awesome and shared the files for anyone to use and for that I thank him. But even if he published the native CAD files it might not help you much if you were using something like SolidWorks, ProE, or Inventor.

What I can tell you is that you probably will need to re-model any of the parts you plan on modifying. You can use the .step as a way to measure all the dimensions, but if you want to be able to change dimensions you need to re-model it, or use some ‘feature recognition’ parts of your CAD software.

If you need a specific part in a specific format I can help. But keep in mind that even if I save it into another format it will not be easily editable. If you want to make changes you will need to re-model the part.

If you decide to post your own files I would suggest posting at a minimum a .stl so people can directly print the part, and a .step or .iges file so others can open it in their own CAD software.

Hope that helps.

@Abc_Def Ok, i have to look into this as the idea is that anyone is supposed to be able to alter/modify the design to fit their own needs.
As with many things in life when you focus on some thigns you loose track of stuff around you.
All the things i do are designed in +TopSolid 7 which is a modern midrange CAD/CAM solution. The problem with this is that functionality like importing, modification and even feature recognition of imported files such as STEP becomes natural. I just assumed that similar softwares such as SW and Inventor have the same functionality.
I tried to import them into designspark but cannot edit STEP files. The only software i know that can handle these files in a similar way to TopSolid 7 is SpaceClaim. Not that it helps anyone who doesn´t want to spend alot of money.
It would be very nice if STEP files could be modified in Inventor as Autodesk have the educational licences available. Does anyone know if there is such a thing for SW? (@Joshua_Updyke ?)
If somebody could help shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated!

I’m no CAD expert, but I was able to import the STEP into Autodesk Fusion 360 (free for non-commercial use at the moment, but only WIndows & OSX, no Linux). It is then capable of exporting to other file format. I didn’t really try, as it aleady did what I needed: show me the name of each screw, so that I could use the proper ones.

@Daniel_Noree & @Abc_Def I have imported and edited step files in Rhino which I use for editing, but that isn’t a good “low price/free” alternative either. BUT, if you have an apple computer you can run their beta for mac totally free, as long as it remains beta (this is what i do for the moment).
Also FreeCad wich is open source can handle step-files.

Let me clarify a little. STEP files are designed to share 3D models and show the design intent. However, they are not designed to share actual features. This means you can get the shape and you can add a new feature like cutting a hole in it. But you can not look back at the decisions that @Daniel_Noree made when he designed it. You will not see that he first made an extrusion, and then cut a hole, then chamfered this edge. You do not get that level of detail because each CAD package stores that information differently.

STEP and IGES are the best formats for sharing CAD because I have never seen a CAD packaged that can not open them.

But if you want to open a file and and edit a feature that someone else made to change one dimension, you would need the native CAD file and the same CAD package that they had. This is not really helpful for most people.

SolidWorks and other CAD packages do have ‘feature recognition’ capabilities. This means it can import the STEP file, and then work backward to generate features. I know that many CAD packages are working on this type of thing. But to be honest it doesn’t work 100% of the time and it is not something I would recommend to someone new to CAD.

If you want to make minor changes to a model STEP files are great. You might need to make two features instead of one. For example if you want to change a hole size you would first need to fill in the hole with a extrusions and then make a new hole. But that is pretty simple and easy.

If you want to make major changes you should be making a new model anyway. Use the STEP to measure dimensions, and model your own part. Honestly, none of the parts in this project are particularly complex and probably require 10-15 minutes to remodel.

I have years of experience with CAD. SolidWorks, Inventor, AutoCAD, ProE, Creo, SketchUp and others. The STEP or IGES files are the best file to share. STL are great for the people who want to just download and print. The native CAD would only help a tiny group that have the same software.