Just finished installing and testing the new laser tube. WOW, what a difference.
I got the extension tube on Friday so I was excited to get going. The extension tube is pretty nice, better than what I was expecting.
It came with 2mm hardware but I used 3mm in place because they are slightly larger.
I cut a hole in the side of the machine, made a pattern for the screws off of the extension tube and used VHB tape as a gasket. Getting the nuts on the bolts inside the machine was a practice in patience. If I ever do another K40, I will fit this before stuffing everything inside.
The tube mounted in the original spot. I kept the distance from the first mirror the same as the OEM tube.
I opted to solder the ground and high voltage lines. The tube arrived prewired! I spliced the two high voltage lines together, soldered them and used a piece of silicone tubing as the wire cover. The silicone tubing on the splice was filled with silicone. No arcing.
You can see the flow switch in the background. I had to pull it out so I could get my giant hands inside.
Here it is all buttoned up. The hardest part was waiting for the silicone to set before I could use it. I did run the pump for a couple of hours so all the bubbles could make their way out.
You can see in the background a temp gauge on the bucket. My next project is a chiller so this is only temporary.