Unable to align mirror 2 in the horizontal direction when testing front and back locations

Hmmm…if the tube is significantly degraded you usually do not get a straight line in a mA vs % power. Typically it would plateau off before you get to 15mA tube current. What do you think @donkjr? Can you provide pictures of how your machine is wired?

One other thought, when you do a test fire when doing a mirror alignment do you get a single round spot or distorted / multiple spots?

Will it punch through a business card anywhere in the optical path with a test pulse?

When I do a test pulse, I get a single dot.

When pulsing the laser, it is purple.

Yes, it will go through a business card, but it takes around 3 seconds at 99%. I did this after the second mirror.

I think the issue lies somewhere with the focal lens.

Using the focal lens, to put a hole through a business card it took several seconds longer than just putting the card inline before the lens. I flipped the lens (concave side down) and it only took about 1 second to put a hole through it.

I’m going to do some more experimenting though with the height and see if the focal length needs to be adjusted.

2 Likes

definitely had your lens in backwards then, they always go “bump” up or convex up, concave down. Regardless I am glad you sorted it out!

1 Like

make sure that the beam is traversing perpendicular to the table and down the middle of the opbjective lens. If the beam enters the head at an angle or off axis it can hit the side of the tube on the way down.
You can test if the beam is perpendicular to the table by taping a piece of paper to the table and pulse a dot. Then move the head up or down and pulse again. The dots should stay close to each other as you move the head up and down and fire a dot on the surface.

1 Like