UI (win10 x64) gets noticeably sluggish with a complex and/or large raster job loaded.

UI (win10 x64) gets noticeably sluggish with a complex and/or large raster job loaded. Looks like it runs two processes. Here’s a screenshot of its memory consumption with the job loaded. And here is the link to the gcode (35mb): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8jLpTsfTtT_aFo2UWt5a1R2RWs

This is just me learning LW4, so let me know if I just borked a config (etc).

It runs two main processes, UI and Comms layer. Raster jobs are generated on UI subprocess

Looks like complex/large gcode put a lot of pressure on the UI process. Might be worth exploring a separate UI for the simulator so that you can display a static image of the finished job after generation as a preview, of sorts. And then when you click Play on the simulator it pops a window (or whatever) that plays the simulation like a movie. That way the line by line gcode visualization doesn’t have to always stay resident in the app unless the user needs to review it.

@Todd_Fleming

I tried this gcode with 2 machines:

• One of my desktops: handles it nicely. Simulator slider adjusts display at 40 fps
  • One of my laptops: very sluggish

It’s machine dependent. My current guess is that it’s exceeding GPU memory so is tying up the memory bus resending the data.

Might also be GPU chipset specific too (Radeon vs Nvidia). In the gaming world, memory issues between major GPU chipset manufacturers are pretty common. Which might explain how my desktop with a decent Radeon GPU and 32GB of ram still saw sluggish performance.

Chrome is not known for being good at memory management :slight_smile: