Turning at slow speed?

Here is one of those TO-DO’s I had on my project list to rebuild.

It is made from an old copy machine motor and cog belt and gears that I have been keeping (20yrs) for a rainy day.

There is lots of good stuff in a copy machine!

For fun guess what this contraption does?? The category gives a hint…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/68RhVMqowAJXwjmbA

3 Likes

Gear reduction?
Video does not play.

See link embedded above…

Slow turning to apply a finish?

1 Like

that was fast …correct answer!

I have found over the years you can slow turn a vessel and apply a thick finish with no drips in a much shorter time …
I typically apply a minimal of 12 coats and sometimes as high a 20 for a good finish.

I use gloss versions of the the finish for most of the coats as it has higher solids and fills better. The last coat of finish is done with satin as it keeps the natural look of the wood.

I also level the first 3-6 coats after overnight drying until the entire surface is milky white Then move on to the next coats. The follow on coats can be done every few hrs without sanding.

The finishing rotary allows me to perform this process off of the lathe so I can turn another piece in parallel.

3 Likes

Nice. I never had thought of a dedicated rotating machine for applying finish before, but makes perfect sense. It was the only thing associated with wood turning that I knew typically required slow speeds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, you slather it on and let the rotation prevent gravity from creating drips, is that right?

Yes…

More in detail:

3 Initial coats

• While rotating spray with gloss until the surface is pretty wet and then let dry to the touch (not sticky)
  • Do this three times.
  • Let dry overnight
  • Sand until even milkiness and clean off the residue, Don’t sand through the finish.

Additional coats

• While rotating spray with gloss until the surface is pretty wet and then let it dry to the touch (not sticky)
  • Do this multiple times until the surface looks even and level
  • Let dry 24hrs
  • Usually do not need to sand but if so sand lightly 300 grit.

Final coat

• Spray with satin until the surface is pretty wet and then let it dry to the touch (not sticky)
  • Let dry overnight
  • Apply wax.
3 Likes