Trying to set up a second print head and this keeps happening.

Trying to set up a second print head and this keeps happening. Same filament through the first head (a 0.4mm nozzle) prints beautifully. But here it gets a few layers and stops.

This is always what I see at the end of the filament. What could be causing it?

Looks like the heat from the tip is working too far up the hot end and prematurely melting the filament causing a jam. You may need to either lower the temperature and/or adjust or provide more cooling to the top of the hot end.

I was having this problem in spades with the new aluminum extruder and Ubis hot end on @Brook_Drumm1 's Printrbot Simple.

By lowering the hot end temp a couple degrees, lowering the current into the extruder motor (to run cooler) and adding a fan to cool the top of the hot end / extruder down I have not had a jam.

I had a similar problem with my extruder. The cause was I had overtightened my extruder and the hobbed bolt was flattening the filament against the bearing. This caused the filament to be sorta oval in shape. When I loosened the extruder a little bit the problem disappeared.

Seen this thread? http://forum.e3d-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65&p=1570#p1570 Am curious to hear if the new Nozzle will work!

Hi @Jens_Chr_Brynildsen good thread - I hadn’t seen that one before. It has to be said I don’t just have issues printing with PLA.

I’m about to update my new head thread - it’s not good.