Tool Rescue Sunday

So It has been on my wish list to try my hand at wood turning but it hasn’t been a priority on my hobby budget list. A while back I created a saved search on Craig’s List for wood lathes just for the hell of it. Then today this harbor freight mini wood lathe popped up in my email notifications for $60 with a basic set of tools. Decided it was too good of a deal to pass up. Runs fine, just needs some TCL to remove the surface rust. The tools aren’t HSS but they will do to start out with. Just have to learn to sharpen them.

As a bonus, when I was going to pick it up, I found this dolly/hand truck curbside that someone was throwing out. Front tries were dry rotted but harbor freight was actually on the way so I picked a new set for $10 and had something to haul the lathe back to the workshop :grin:

3 Likes

Nice score Nedman! I have been wanting a lathe myself for some time now.

1 Like

That’s better.

3 Likes

Now you can sell it for $200 :wink:

1 Like

Really sweet! I too have been wanting a lathe. I have a friend who makes some amazing pens. He bought my K40’s when I upgraded and uses it on them now too.

1 Like

Warning!
Wood turning is addictive and there is no recovery!

2 Likes

Lol, warning duly noted.

Nice job on the restore BTW

2 Likes

I hear there are groups and medication for that!

1 Like

So of course I’ve started looking around at accessories and mods for the lathe and found this variable speed upgrade which is pretty cool.
https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TCLVSKIT&Store_Code=PS&showreviews=1
Man this hobby gets expensive quick. :astonished:

First priority is going to have to be working out how to sharpen the tools. Have a bench grinder so leaning toward a wolverine style sharpening jig. Seems that 120 grit grinding stones are what most people use.

1/4 of turning is getting to and having sharp tools. I made many of my tools in the shop when I started. Good practice turning handles.

You can get a standard grinder and DIY make a wolverine setup if you don’t want to buy it.

I assume you can change speed on that lathe with a pulley, you can turn fine with that to start.

My advice is to learn to turn with the standard lathe the “Hard Way” and upgrade as you find what you like. Spindles, bowls, boxes vessels etc.

If you are truly addicted you will move to a larger lathe pretty quick.

1 Like

The only medication is more tools, jigs, lathes and bigger shops.
There is this medication not a cure!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not looking to spend much at the moment so your advice is exactly what I’m planning to do. :smiley:

The main idea that was pushing me toward turning is making presentation gavels for my Masonic lodge. Some one gave me this beautiful gavel when I was Master of my lodge many years ago. I’ll start with simple solid wood before getting into any fancy glue ups.

1 Like

One I did a long time ago!
Its a bottle opener.
IMG_20130203_195417_849-Mobile

2 Likes

Ha! Love it! I know someone who love one of those. :smiley:

I have the lesser model from horrible freight.

I sharpen my tools with a worksharp 2000. Low rpm and easy to use.

I made a gavel for my father in law at the end of his term as DDGM. He passed away prior to me becoming master of my lodge. The gavel and presentation case I made was presented back to me by the family at my installation. (Wasn’t a dry eye around).

Turning is addictive, cathartic and fun. Great way to turn nice logs into saw dust. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know how I found this thread other than Ned Hill is part of the K40 group. I just picked up a new/old lathe today for $250. I also included some of the tools I made last summer. The grinding jig and the tool rests were made using a CNC plasma cutter and welder. Then the 4 lathe tools were made from old planer blades and 5/8" round stock for the insert tools.

2 Likes

Nice find! I’m DIYing a wolverine style sharpening jig myself and waiting on delivery of a 120 grit stone for my bench grinder. Hope to do my first turning this weekend. :smiley:

@SquareD
Nicely made tools, I especially like the tool rests.
I wish I could weld like that!
That sharpening system is hard to tell apart from a factory wolverine!

This is my regular wood-turning tool set of which about 1/3 are shop made.

And then of course you need a lot of adapters, tool rests, sandpaper disks etc!

Note: I make my own sanding disk arbors and pads.

… and then there is chucks and plates

… not to forget coring tools

1 Like