Tool Rescue Sunday

Yeah, you have a serious addiction. I actually enjoy making all of the tooling more than turning. I hadn’t done any turning in years but a friend of mine wanted to learn how so I started up again.
The welds actually are not that hard if you have the right welder. I did most of the welds with a TIG welder with no filler rod, which makes a nice looking bead.
Here is a bowl I turn out of Spanish oak. I need to learn how to take better pictures.

1 Like

Nice natural edge… never turned spanish oak, none here.

I have a small Lincoln mig don’t know if it handles enough current to do those tool rests. Do you use gas?

Heh my wife often says to me:

when are you going to with the jigs and tools and make something

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone noticed but the one thing my lathe was missing was the handle for the VS drive. I wasn’t able to find replacement parts except for one website that wanted $395 for just the cam block. So yesterday I fabricated a new handle from scratch. Next I will have to fabricate a front panel and replace the main V-belt. The nearest I can figure is that it is about 50 years old.

2 Likes

100% argon for TIG welding or do you mean Oxy-acetylene welding? I have a torch for welding, arc welder and MIG welder in my shop. The TIG welder is at another shop.

I love a good tool find.

Got an old 6in Jointer from craiglist listed under scrap as the top was all rusted. Asked him if he it worked and paid $50 for it. WD-40, some sandpaper and elbow grease got it looking like new.

I definitely don’t need to get into turning…

1 Like