I have in the past put a sheet of hardboard on top of my MDF “spoilboard” (Yo Dawg, I heard you like spoilboards, so I gave you a spoilboard for your spoilboard!), and just turned it around and/or replaced it when it gets too mucked up. But today I have a thin piece and I finally decided to use that 1" surfacing bit I bought to actually surface my spoilboard, so that no small pieces of spoilboard sticking up cause me to cut my thin piece too deeply.
I started using it conversationally to get used to it, and was surprised to discover how inconsistently out of tram the whole surface was. I also discovered that I couldn’t surface boustrophedonically because it didn’t cut the same in both directions. I ended up surfacing my 1 meter by 1.5 meter OX in 20mm stripes — both in X and Y major directions — writing all the gcode by hand rather than stopping and writing a program to output the gcode. I’m not sure why, other than I got in the groove.
But now I have a surface that should be tram to the spindle movement, so I can now cut this 5mm thick plywood more precisely.
(While I was cutting that, my CW-3000 water cooler for my spindle started to leak, so now I guess I need to take it apart and figure out what’s leaking and put it back together.)