Tiny WiFi for yer projects:

Tiny WiFi for yer projects: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wifi-drop-a-tiny-programmable-wifi-endpoint

I wonder which ARM Cortex M3 chip they’re using, because that’s what’s going to make this awesome or awful, FastLED-wise.

I like the idea. It’s like the SparkCore hardware without all the need to go through their web site for everything. (Dan and I spoke with the SparkCore folks at MakerFaire SF, and they have a good plan for external library support, but AFAIK it isn’t ‘shipping’ yet… so no FastLED port there yet.)

Comment posted … let’s see what they reply with.

And the answer is: Atmel ATSAM3S2A

Nice board. I’m curious how Arduino and Fastled friendly it is.

Based on what they wrote on that page, they haven’t added Arduino support yet, but it’s planned.

The Arduino Due uses a SAM3X, so this is related but (of course) different. I predict it won’t work at FastLED’s now-legendary speed “right out of the box”, but porting FastLED native hardware I/O support to it would probably be a modest effort, once we had a few pieces in hand.

The SparkCore and the Maple use “STM32” chips (also with an ARM Cortex core, but different hardware I/O). Even though these are have “ARM Cortex” cores, each chip family has it’s own I/O setup, and for maximum speed, we write special code for each chip family. Even though it makes us crazy. And by us, I really mostly mean Dan for this part.

So, ARM: good. Another NEW chip: meh.

Yes, I was looking already for a solution that used the Due chip (or even something like Teensy or a simple 328) in combination with a CC3000. I think their offer (60 euro without early-bird) is also pretty pricey.

The RFDuino (Bluetooth BLE) (mentioned overhere somewhere) is probably more interesting. They sell now (previous Kickstarter) for around 12 euro (16 dollar) in mayor B2B distributors.

Notwithstanding certain problems that Dan’s run into, you might want to look at the DigiX.

Oh, wait, that doesn’t use the cc3000.
Which is the problem Dan is having…