Throwing some PLA down with the volcano: 1.2mm nozzle, .7mm layer height, 1.2mm shell,

Throwing some PLA down with the volcano: 1.2mm nozzle, .7mm layer height, 1.2mm shell, 1.4mm bottom/top, 15% infill, 28mm/s speed, 240C hotend, 70C bed. Model dimensions: 82mm x 103mm x 71mm. Total time: 75 minutes.

Clearly it’s fast. But around 1:00 or so, it seems to be pausing a lot.

Yeah, I disabled combing on the skin in Cura, so it ended up with a lot of retraction.

Can somebody explain what combing is?

Man, that is nice to see. I purchased a volcano for my Herculein build. Can’t wait to get it built!

Has anyone done dual extruders with a volcano in one side and a regular nozzle in the other? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me?

@dhylands Cura “Combing” appears to be the same as, “avoid crossing perimeters” in Slic3r, with the intent being to not scar the surface of the print. More info here: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2949-combing-aka-avoid-crossing-perimeters/

@Chris_Brent agreed. Slic3r has support for an “infill extruder” on the Print Settings tab that the Volcano seems ideally suited for.