Thought I'd try my hand at designing a Grbl controller

So I decided to try designing a 3-axis Grbl controller based on an Arduino Nano, if for no other reason than to see if I could do it. I’m relatively familiar with electronics, but lack the formal theory education. Mostly self taught, I can follow design guidelines and can cobble together a design, based on other widely available boards, which is what I’ve done here. I just figured I would post this up here, and see if some folks more learned then me could give me any pointers, or at least let me know of any glaring issues with the design before I send my $10 and wait 2 weeks for prototypes. I appreciate any help!

Here is a link to the Gerber zip file.

EDIT: Updated link, found I forgot the logic GND track on the X driver.

1 Like

Bart Dring open sources his board designs so even though he makes them for ESP32 instead of Arduino Nano the techniques on noise suppression, filtering etc could be informative.
https://www.buildlog.net/blog/2020/07/a-new-fully-modular-cnc-controller/

4 Likes

I’m familiar with Bart’s boards, though I’ve never used one myself. I’ll definitely look deeper into the design aspects of them though. Thanks for the tip! I do run his Grbl-ESP32 firmware on another couple machines using a different custom board designed by a member of the V1 Engineering forum. I’m pretty happy with how they run.:+1:

4 Likes

Another Rev. Changed V+ track routing to hit caps before hitting the X driver and Laser power outputs.

1 Like