Thought I would go a bit bigger on the dragon carving. I noticed that with about an hour to go, the spindle started acting a bit strange. Fluctuations in speed. It sounded like an outboard motor coming out of the water at full throttle. I let it finish doing it’s thing. I got another project set up and went to run it, and no spindle. checked the power supply E1, or something like that. Flipped the power off and back on again, and reran the code. Spindle powered up and it started acting up again, and then just shut off. I disconnected the control wires, and hooked the pot up to it instead. Same issues. I had to give it a spin with my fingers to get it to start a few times.
Checked the brushes to see if they were somehow worn out after the whole 100 hours of use I put on it. Still looked fine, so I put them back in and CRACK! The damn plastic socket that holds the brush cap cracked into pieces. Well… I fired it back up again and it still ran the same as it was, for about half an hour. Spit, sputter and done! I love the smell of fried motor windings in my work shop.
I guess these are not continuous duty motors!!!
Okay. Now for the second part of my weekend. I went to harbor freight and bought an inexpensive trim router and then machined a mount for it on my manually operated mini mill. Sure would have been nice to have a cnc machine to make that!! Got everything put back together again, and restarted the project. It was carving right along for about an hour or so and then I hear the motor starting to labor a little bit, and then a little bit more, and before I could get to the E-stop button, my bit was about 3/4" deep into solid oak. Lucky for me, I guess, my shiny new carbide end mill bit snapped in two.
I powered everything down, shut off the lights and closed the door behind me.
Happy carving everyone! Until next time, have a great day.