This seems silly to ask

hi, thanks in advance if you read this. how does one manually find a gcode to align your work area on an etcher WITHOUT lightburn?
ive been searching web but i guess im not asking the right question ( or version of).
im a bit challenged still, to try and write my own. sorry

It may help to tell us more in detail about your problem and what you are trying to accomplish.

I would like the gcode to draw a line around the total work area. To help align my project. Iā€™m terrible understanding gcode. Iā€™m using marlin. M106 command for laser on. If that helps.

Youā€™d need to calculate the bounding box (or outline or rubber band outline) of your tool paths and then generate the g-code to move along that at some speed.

Why donā€™t you want LightBurn doing that for you?

Framing isnā€™t strictly necessary for alignment, by the way. You can also do all of your alignment with indexing features which have a known distance from the homing location. Thatā€™s how I generally do it. I just push the item with known dimensions into my 0/0 corner and just start a job with matching dimensions from 0/0. Or I use a jig which makes use of some indexing features.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, framing is just for doing quick sanity checks. Everything should be already perfectly aligned at this point and I just press the frame button to confirm that everything is indeed where itā€™s supposed to be.

1 Like

Check the LaserWeb docs to see if there are any exposure of internal variables like CNCjs has( User Guide | cncjs search for ā€œvariablesā€ ). There is even an example of how theyā€™re used in GCode. Hopefully LaserWeb has the feature.

Again thank you but some of its above me. I shall google

@tomatsu @dougl @donkjr thank you for the wealth of knowledge. To answer as to why I donā€™t use light burn is that itā€™s too complex for me right now. I currently own two lasers. One is a Creality cv-01 very simple ( only decent) for my learning curve. I built a larger scale model to advance but I trashed my control board setting it up. I think I jumped too fast to the next level without learning enough basics. So I backed up to concentrate on ā€œuse ofā€ type stuff. I got frustrated looking for a simple piece of code to try it and poof here we are.
People, itā€™s kind souls such as yourselves that make traditions continue! Thank you

1 Like

I think the mention of lightburn at the beginning obscured that you asked in the LaserWeb/CNCWeb category. :relaxed:

In general, as far as I know, using an alignment jig has been the classic solution for close alignment, regardless of software.

I definitely will look into that. Actually makes sense! Thanks people

As @mcdanlj has mentioned, a ā€˜fixureā€™ or ā€˜jigā€™ is probably your best option.

I have a 50W co2 with a steel floor with alignment holesā€¦

Here are a couple of photos to give you an ideaā€¦

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

LaserWeb has the function ā€œcheck sizeā€ which moves the head around the work area ouf your file.
For diode lasers, you might manually activate the laser on very low power before starting ā€œcheck sizeā€ to get a better view.

1 Like