This might go a little under the radar for some reason but 3D Systems

This might go a little under the radar for some reason but 3D Systems are massively speeding up stereolithography with its new concept usinbg a robotic arm.

I’ve seen a few details about their metal sintering system. Huge wistful sigh.

It’s neat and it works. I was more impressed with the DMP320 direct metal printer. 3DS is up on their game this year. Lots of impressive machines in the booth.

I agree I’ve been a huge 3DS detractor before but since the departure of Avi I’ve been told they’re being run “like a business”

The arm is just there to look cool. It’s working as a regular Z stage, plus placing the build plate off to the side once the print is done.

The technology is actually not the arm, it is reversed stereolithography in the modules beneath. As I suggest in the article the technology is far from finished but I think it is 3D Systems directly reacting to Carbon 3D’s competition.

@Ryan_Carlyle If you read Daniel’s piece it’s pretty much like being in the booth listening to them discuss it. It’s not the arm. In fact the arm is a stock six way arm. It’s the speed and also the ability to integrate the arm into a larger manufacturing process.

A theme I found common in the presentations (which were really informal talks at each machine) was the automation and integration of the AM process into existing factory applications. Right now there is a fair amount of human intervention as well as some glacially slow processes (the DMP is in ml per hour) They are clearly looking to bridge the gap and make it a more compatible process with a manufacturing line.

This is a technology demonstration more than a product. In fact it’s not a finished product at all at this point. At first glance one might think they are pulling a complete model out of a vat of resin but once you realize it’s being formed that fast I had to do a double take.

Theoretically you could use the arm to pull the part, inspect, machine if needed, then dip in another vat for futher printing of another material, at possibly a different orientation.