This may help with some of the IP issues surrounding 3D printing.

This may help with some of the IP issues surrounding 3D printing. Anyone here have any use for this?
http://www.3dprinter.net/teleport-it-3d-lets-you-share-prints-instead-of-files

It makes sense that the service only sends the G-code so it masks the original model but do not see how they could limit how many times you print something. Even if the service spools it directly to your printer, which would be difficult, it could be captured during the transfer.

Apparently that’s what the TelePad platform does – sends it directly to the printer. That may be why it only works for specific printers.

“and what’s more, the firm can set limits on how long the object is printable and/or how many times it can be printed. Once expired, the gcode is gone.”

No, in fact, they can’t, and the gcode is not gone.

Did you test the platform?

No, but give me it and I’ll get you the gcode.

I’m sure it’s possible. Go for it; you can try the service now (if you have a MakerBot. They’ll be adding other printers soon). Just because you manage to grab the gcode doesn’t mean everyone can figure out how though.

Ah, that security model.

There is no security over the G-code itself, as USB printing is all done through virtualized serial drivers. The G-code can be grabbed by an intermediary USB sniffer (software) or tapped off the printer’s USB/serial converter chip and run back through a serial port and captured.

That sounds about right. For many clients, though, a deterrent is enough. Are there scripts to convert gcode into CAD files?

There are scripts that turn CAD files into gcode, so I’d wager one could quickly write a script to turn gcode into a CAD file. You don’t lose information about the CAD model (up to the resolution of the printer the gcode is for) when generating gcode --you simply add extra information about the printer used to ‘render’ the CAD file.

Right. I’m sure such converters will be popping up soon.

I would rather just trust my clients. Also lol@skeinforge

Anything that is against usability usually fails. So agree with @Chris_Thompson1 just rather trust your clients and give them the choice to print when and where they want.

Unfortunately trust doesn’t go very far in the professional world, otherwise firms wouldn’t have long contracts and lawyers on standby.

Well, the problem is that with 3d models it will happen the same as with mp3. The moment you exchange bits they can be copied. so it is more a question of change of paradigm that is coming, and so change of business model for designers.

DRM did not work with mp3s. Neither will work with other digital files exchanges. But one of the reasons was that there was no convenient way of consumption. Here I see an attempt to make again something inconvenient to protect some rights. Let’s see what happens, since it’s not a commodity yet it may work.

In the professional world, DRM does work. It just doesn’t work on the street. The concept of sending prints doesn’t seem overly inconvenient as long as all printers get added to the platform.

Agree on professional. However I got the impression that their first printer connection is a Makerbot, so non-professional.

Their first compatible printers are MakerBots. I disagree that that makes the service nonprofessional; the printers can produce objects with Z resolutions below 100 microns, and prototyping can definitely be performed at that level of quality.

Ok, Cameron…we could stay forever with the discussion.
We have a different view and that’s fine. World has to be diverse!! :wink: