This issue with getting defective boards is killing my drive to continue working on

My Duets have been quite reliable. I did blow some drivers, I think due to me manually moving my print head and inducing current. Not the mfg fault. We were able to use a hot air iron at work and replace the blown drivers fairly easily.

I love my Duet WiFi and X5. Got another pair of WiFi and X5 waiting for my second machine. I’m in USA and have purchased mine through filastruder who has been very quick with shipping and always treated me well with all purchases.

@Griffin_Paquette
I had to replace a cpu on a AZSMZ board for a friend so i dont think it be to hard for the drivers.
They say its out of warranty , which is stupid I got the last replacement in September.
The first board blew a Y driver, second was pre killed Y driver. Third is the Z

Sure I can part with one

@ekaggrat_singh_kalsi

It not problem with what im doing at all

@Ben_Malcheski

Ive tried this back emf damaging drivers with a AZSMZ board like shaking the bed violently back and forth trying to kill it. Its still printing fine

I have two Duet Wifis (purchased through Filastruder) for two different printers and have had no problems with them. Not saying yours aren’t bad, it’s just another datapoint to show they aren’t ALL bad…

Well I will be getting a replacement after all, fourth times the charm, lets hope its solid and i have faith in running 100+ hour prints in my 350x350x750 corexy

Ok, so what it sounds like to me is that you may have one or more of your stepper motors might be pulling more amps than the board is rated for. So… instead of continuing to replace the board with the same one every time it goes bad, try replacing it with a combo of the ramps 1.4 board and arduino board, or something else with the ability to add your own stepper drivers. Then you can just replace the single stepper drivers if they were to go bad again, and just make sure you increase the amperage rating for all the stepper drivers if thats the case. Much cheaper this way as well.

Lots of people seem to be having similar issues with boards that integrate the drivers. Fortunately I am not having that issue with my MKS Base 1.5 but, my delta is also pulling low amps.

@Joshua_With
“Pulling” amps ok
for one it takes 900Ma to run a nema23 so no pulling amps there.
Im not replacing it with a 8bit board man, its not even in the same class at all…
I can replace the drivers that’s not the issue at all. its that they’re blowing their shit on a $200 board

To quote them " We have had a lot more driver failures than we expected and are complaining to Trinamic about this" from the horses mouth.

I love the what the Duet guys have made dont get me wrong. I just wont a working product thats all.

Bummer. I guess you can file this under “Pros” for boards without on-board drivers.

thats quite strange, I have also had two duets and non a single problem. Use the pins in the header to make it work with an external driver, thst could make the printer work while you fix the other boards

@Jordan_Bourns I think you’re missing the point of using an 8 bit board. Think of it as a cheap piece of test equipment that you’ll replace with the board of your choice as soon as you rule out any other failure modes. You only need to prevent one more blown board to effectively get your money back.

@MidnightVisions its there

@Nathan_Walkner did you bother reading anything or you just want to shit post?

@Daryl_Bond yeah I see your point. I’ll dust off my old mks. Give it a test

@Ben_Malcheski " I did blow some drivers, I think due to me manually moving my print head and inducing current. Not the mfg fault." - Bad design issue if that’s the case.

@Testof_Newtablet I should specify that I believe it was when the board was powered off meaning that the back emf was transiently powering the board. My understanding is that this is much more difficult to design safety features for.

@Ben_Malcheski hmmm, not really, a few diodes is about all it takes.

Once you’ve gotten past 2 boards, it’s not bad luck, it’s likely user error. You’ve likely got an intermittent wiring issue or something out of spec causing this.

@ThantiK Did you not read? Ive said a few times, The second board came to me dead. Plus the first one died with only 2 motor thats it plugged into it. so the first 2 have nothing to do with my wiring. The third was functioning fine…

@Jordan_Bourns did I not read? Your “third”, is technically your “second”. I took that into account. The likelihood that it’s not user error is pretty low. Printrbot always gets this kind of thing here too. Where someone will come in and complain that they’re on their 4th board, and it’s blown up AGAIN – and it turns out (every damn time!) that it was the users fault, and Printrbot just wasted $400+ sending out replacement boards.