This is what happens when I have too much time

I bought a K40 a couple of months ago with the intention of tearing it down and rebuilding it with better quality components.

I sourced most of the parts from Light Object.
X7 DSP Controller
30 mA meter
Air Assist laser head
20W~45W PWM CO2 Laser Power Supply

The two stepper drivers, 24 Volt power supply, 12 volt converter and new mirrors were Amazon.
Surprisingly, everything fit very well in the tight space.
What is not shown is the flow switch and safety interlocks.
I also replaced the hall effect limit switches with snap action limit switches.

The switches and led lights are left overs from other projects.

!

I have been using it although I still have a few components to add, like a water temp interlock and readout. And a motorized Z bed.
And then I had a tube failure so I ordered a true 40 watt. I’m now making the modifications to the case to accommodate the longer tube.

8 Likes

Nice work :slight_smile: @donkjr will be happy to see this :wink:

4 Likes

That looks like what a K40 was supposed to look like :).
Do you have a build log?

4 Likes

I was working on this in my spare time after work so I wasn’t taking many photos. In fact the LEDs on the lid were installed last night. But I will be documenting the laser tube upgrade. I’m expecting the part to arrive tomorrow. I just got the temp gauge today so I can monitor the out going water temp. I’m planning on attaching the probe to the water line with insulating wrap as close to the tube as possible but under the metal shelf just to keep it away from transient high voltage.

4 Likes

Yep, bought mine in December. $400 laser cutter how can I lose, Currently up to $1000 without replacing the board, power supply or tube.
I still feel I’m ahead of the game.
Wayne

3 Likes

Yeah, same here. I think at last tally I’m into it for about $1,000 including the initial laser purchase. But that’s not including the parts I had on hand. So to be fair, lets say $1,200.

1 Like

Curious why you made this swap of the switches? I don’t particularly know the pros or cons of why one type would be better/worse in this case.

1 Like

It was not a matter of what TYPE is better, but rather the quality of the electronics. I could have used them but I have modified nearly everything else with high quality parts. It would have been a shame if I left the limits alone. I ran the original tube and that only lasted about 4 hours.
I upgraded the tube and it is night and day. Just finished it today. I thought I had done something wrong to have the tube fail so fast but the difference I am seeing as far as power is amazing.
The original tube would cut through 3mm plexi at around 60% power (12mA), the new tube is cutting through the same plexi at 15% power (7mA).

2 Likes

Ah that makes sense. If you’re already in there might as well, then you know exactly what you have going on.