This is almost enough to make me dig up a copy of Windows -

This is almost enough to make me dig up a copy of Windows -

“Kinect Fusion, a tool also included in Kinect for Windows SDK 1.7, can create highly accurate
3-D renderings of people and objects in real time.”

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/developer-downloads.aspx

I have a Kinect that I bought a month ago, but I’ve been so busy I haven’t played around with it at all. I think this will change that.

Windows SDK 1.7 is not out yet.

Umm, @Shachar_Weis , yes it is: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/developer-downloads.aspx

You are right :slight_smile:

Anyone know if this can be made to work with an Asus camera ?

Well webcams have been around for a while, do you also consider them a threat ? It would actually be much easier to use a webcam for the hack you suggest.

The camera needs to be moving to build a 3D model. Also, unlike webcams, 3D scanner is not something you just leave running all the time. I don’t see any “additional” data this gives a criminal that would make this more a threat than a webcam.

adop

'.

.mi!Lo

Does anyone know how to get the Kinect SDK working with an Xbox Kinect camera ?

I imagine this would work on the newer @Leap_Motion tech too.

I actually don’t think so. The Leap is not a 3d camera. It is designed for a specific purpose, tracking hand and fingers.

Really hoping that there won’t be any big issues with using the Kinect for XBox with the SDK.

this is from the terms of service

b. Restricted Use with the Kinect for Xbox 360 Sensor. The Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor is sold subject to the terms of a Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement that permits use of the device solely in connection with an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 S console. Notwithstanding this restriction in the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement, you may use an unmodified Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor to assist in the design, development and testing of your Kinect for Windows Applications, subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement. All of the other terms of the Kinect for Xbox 360 Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement remain unchanged. You agree that end users of Kinect for Windows Applications are not licensed to use Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors in connection with such Kinect for Windows Applications, and that you and your distributors will not directly or indirectly assist, encourage or enable Kinect for Windows Application end users to do so.

Well that’s a bit frustrating. Just bought an Xbox Kinect sensor so that I could do some 3D scanning. Looks like I’ll have to send it back.

A legal reason for my never going back to Windows or Microsoft !

it says that you can use it. the main difference i think, is that they sell it for less when bundled with xbox. i will report as soon as i have the developer toolkit loaded

Sounds good, thanks @Onyx_Ashanti .

@Shachar_Weis , from Leap Motion’s site: “We’re already working to extend 3D motion control into many other digital devices”
It has a camera to translate hand movements into OS controls, so as soon as they release an API (application programmer’s interface) like the Kinect has, we’ll be able to have 3D scanning just like the Kinect does.

Leap Motions Staff: “I apologize for this nebulous response, but we will have more information about the API documentation availability soon.”

Questions on focus distance and resolution could affect which is better for the job, but the Leap sensors appear much faster than Kinect’s.

Sources:
https://www.leapmotion.com/company

https://forums.leapmotion.com/showthread.php?574-Availability-of-Leap-API-Documentation

@Theo_Walker , I’ve been able to get my Kinect for Xbox to communicate with my PC, I’m just hoping to be able to use the 3D scanning capabilities in the Kinect for Windows 1.7 SDK. I haven’t had much success with the other open/free software programs for 3D scanning with Kinect.