The Smoothieboard v2 project is huge .

Do you have a prioritized backlog of features/issues somewhere? I would be curious to see what is left before you can launch the v2. What software pieces are missing (we spoke in the past about opencv related things). That might help the funding story as well.

http://smoothieware.org/todo shows some of it, but a lot of it is quickly evolving, and documenting it well would be a huge time consumer.

what RTOS did you go with? smoothieware homepage is just black (with pixely icons) on my phone.

@Anton_Fosselius We are going with NuttX. We actually already financed C++ support in NuttX, as well as the port of NuttX to the LPC43XX, both of which have been merged with mainstream nuttx and are available to the community.

Interesting, never heard of it before. What is the benefits over FreeRTOS?

It’s a bit of a mini-OS in itself, like a linux, and it comes with lots of neat tools you can adapt like a web server, a terminal. But it fits in much less RAM than a linux would.

I’d prefer a separate paypal/patreon for V2. The current link for paypal donations on the smoothie wiki is really for current smoothieware support, and it is easier to manage the two separately, not knowing where the money is to go. As Arthur is paying people from his pocket for V2 development the money needs to go to him for V2.

@Arthur_Wolf ​ set some easy way of contributing money, I’ve just tried to look after link to PayPal from my phone and not successful. Do direct link, patron, just don’t do kickstart ect., their reputation isn’t worth a dime these days.
I’ll put in as much as I can even though I don’t use smoothie or anything related to the project, just know how much effort and money projects like this can consume.

Tshirts and keyrings would work better than a pateron or donation.

I’m in for a few bucks.

I will happily support the good cause

@Arthur_Wolf that list is nice. I find that having something like that helps me see things that I could do to help a project that also fall in the sweet spot of something I’m personally interested in learning/doing/have knowledge of. I also use Patreon (though I hate their fees and find them excessive, even though I like their founder, a little love/hate thing going on there).

I wouldn’t mind chatting your needs for a web server at some point. You have my email already.

Kickstarter for v2 is a good idea!!! I would do the campaign now and speed up with that :wink:

Use kickstater for a very low goal , it’s more important to have a good exposure (promo) and finish with a success. you could always add extended goal (stickers) as you raised more money. a success will also be important for your next campain. @Arthur_Wolf

I’m in also!!! I want my tshirt :joy::joy:

Take a look at the HAL layer of Machinekit (or LinuxCNC), which can sit on top of just about any RTOS and provides a configurable real-time framework that turns “spice-like” netlist files (HAL files, basically a text netlist) into working real-time systems. Note this is totally separate from the gcode interpreter and motion planner (which mostly run in userspace and not in hard real-time).

We’re already working on breaking out the HAL layer of Machinekit so it can stand on it’s own, so as long as your RTOS supports shared libraries (or you are willing to add that support) it would be very easy to craft a dynamic hard real-time foundation. It might save you some time (and developer $$$).

Interested in supporting. How much money is needed to finish the project and get v2 out?

@Arthur_Wolf I will buy a T-shirt just let me know where and when. But to be honest it may not by worth your time if you are looking to make a profit to support dev cost. I was with Open Pilot for a few years before the project ended. The store offered t-shirts, mugs, etc… but the margin was thin on these products. Most $ was made from the hardware. You might get better cash flow with making a patch of v1 boards to sell…but there is more to consider on your end I am sure.

Start with a kickstarter with hardware as goal 1. From the previous posts it appears you are thinking of two separate kickstarters before hardware release. This is way too long for most of us to get behind.

Launch 1 kickstarter, include hardware as release 1. You will get more support from the community and be able to plan better for delivery while managing expectations.

Launch today, don’t delay! :slight_smile: