The birth of another   :) Thanks to Eric Lien 's Herculien design and Nathan Buxton

The birth of another #HercuLien :slight_smile:
Thanks to @Eclsnowman 's Herculien design and @Nathan_Buxton 's 3D prints, here are some images of my HercuLien build in progress. I missed some bearings and a belt or two from orders so progress has slowed. I plan to post some photos of completed machine. This machine will use the smoothieboard and #OctoPrint .

Great work. It looks clean :slight_smile:

Now I’m jealous. If I works well You might get me to convert to smoothie to see If I can improve high speed printing :slight_smile:

Let me know if you can improve the part ducts. I was never happy with my design (the shadowed side from the blower needs better cooling).

Looks very nice! I wonder what is the large chamber on top for? Does it print up there or only in the lower half?

I’ve seen this done to trap heat in the past, but that IS a large attic going on there.

I think I had it modeled at 12 inches high to allow for capturing heat and also for cabling and Bowden tube travel. With a long bowden tube like this you want this gentle an arc as possible.

These pictures are great. To be honest I am worried you have a better looking version of my printer than I do.

@Eclsnowman @Brad_Hopper @Jim_Wilson Thanks for all the comments, I will post more as build progress continues.
looking at the pictures, the picture showing the Top was taken at an angle and seems to make the top look higher than 12 inches.

@Eclsnowman That is just the way it goes - second iterations and all that.

@Marc_McDonald ​ I just noticed you mimicked my mistake of the four extra tee nuts on the z-bed drive 20x80 horizontal base extrusion. I had put them in the wrong row to act as the nuts for the two sliding tensioner idlers. I have been meaning to remove them from mine, but I did the same as you and just put bolts in to hold them still so they don’t rattle.

Sorry :wink:

@Oliver_Schonrock yes it is vslot on the z-guides. It works well and the chamber never gets over 50C from the passive heat from the heated bed so delrin works fine. But openbuilds does have PC wheels which might help ridgidity.

Another improvement that could be made is a plate on the outside of the bolts so the wheels are not cantelievered on the bolts… But then you can run into interference issues with the main box frame and that plate.

I can apply a fair amount of force to the bed without deflection, so it performs very well as is. But spacing the wheels apart more could improve that even further.

Hope that helps.

@Oliver_Schonrock ​ I am not running a smoothie board, but with the additional network jack it can run a basic webserver for jogging and other tasks.

@Eclsnowman @Oliver_Schonrock The #HercuLien is operational using the smoothieboard and #octoprint and the first printed parts in ABS look good. Next will be some tuning and increase of print speed.

I have a #bondtech extruder installed and operational and am very impressed with the quality and operation. Will definitely consider a second unit when production units are available, at this time I have the Hercstruder on the second hotend.

@Oliver_Schonrock Octoprint on the Pi as I have a few Pi available and do not want to add the networking tasks to the smoothie.

@Marc_McDonald Great news. keep us posted.

Awesome news! Did you have any other troubles with the parts? I’m thinking of building a HercuLien myself now.

@Marc_McDonald ​ do you think I should drop the height of the lid at all?

@Eclsnowman At this time I am not using the lid, that will be next after I have resolved a small vibration in the Y axis(does not seem to affect the print quality at this time), the x axis works great. I plan to add some type of arch support for the boden/control/power cables to the inside of the lid, I have not verified if the height can be reduced at this time.

One item I would consider changing is to install the side walls outside of the frame so they can be easily removed so you can gain access to all parts of the #herculien as it can be challenging with the current design. This may also reduce some vibration of the side panels that I have noticed.

@Nathan_Buxton at this time the double carriage E3DV6 seems have had too much extrusion that resulted in a slight misalignment of the Y axis bushings causing the small vibration I observe. I removed the over extrusion using a CNC but may not have got the alignment exactly correct when I flipped the part in the CNC for the other side of the Y axis. I will see when it is replaced (waiting for new bushings to arrive) if this resolves the small vibration. You need to watch the extrusion amount on all bushing cavities.

@Marc_McDonald ​​ I know what you mean about accessibility. I thought about outside panels since that is how my corexy was. But I was torn because the drive motors ride on the outside. Also in retrospect thicker panels would be better.

For the carriage bushings that’s why I print in abs. Easy clean out with a file, or just wipe the hole with a qtip soaked in acetone. That softens it to allow the bushing to press in easy. Plus it has the effect if glueing in the bushing.

For vibration did you run a few hours if break in gcode? For these bushing style machines it is almost a must. Also after installing the center carriage bushings guide the rod through and align the bushings since they have misalignment capacity of 5deg built in. Then put the rod in a drill and spin it while the sliding the carriage up an down. That seats everything nicely. Do the same for all the rod ends.

For arch support I have a small section of thin flexible rod (coat hanger) where the cables enter the chamber. Drill a small diameter hole larger than the hanger wire in the top of the main frame at the center of where the cable entry cutout is in the lid. If you put a small triple 45 bend in the coat hanger and a washer it cannot fall too far into the hole and pivots nicely. Guide the cable in a gentle arc terminating the hanger rod a few inches from the top inside of the lid and before the apex of the cable arch. That allows the cables to reach anywhere they want… But holds the midpoint of the cable in the air.