Suggestion router speed/inch on soft wood. Using vcarve to cam design/ mach3 gcode.

Suggestion router speed/inch on soft wood.
Using vcarve to cam design/ mach3 gcode.
Just testing my .25 inch bit for rough cut and takes about 1:30 hr to do the below object. I was wondering how fast can we go with a dewalt dwp611. Still learning. Need help. Thank you for the help.
Happy holiday.

Cheers.

At 16k don’t go under 100ipm. I cut at 200ipm and full depth with my machine

Ok, will try next projects. Thank you.

I usually suggest between 500 and 2500mm/min for wood. The higher speeds being for softer woods such as pine, basswood, etc. You can use any one of dozens of online feeds and speeds calculators (Google “cnc router feeds and speeds calculators”) to get a ballpark figure with your bit type, size, router speed, depth of cut, material, etc. Keep in mind that you can alter some settings to get better speeds, such as taking lighter cuts or increasing router RPM.

Ultimately, the best way to determine feed speed for a given setup is to experiment. There are so many variables that it’s hard to pin it down. For smaller detailed stuff like your photos show, it’s likely that the router will never actually reach the speed you set anyway, just because the cuts are short and it doesn’t have time to accelerate/decelerate in the length of the cut.

In this case, you could try increasing your acceleration setting in GRBL, but be careful with this as it could cause lost steps if you set it too high. With NEMA23 180 oz/in motors and 3A/24V/8 microsteps motor settings, I usually conservatively set acceleration to around 50-60mm/sec^2. With larger motors, lower microstep settings, or more current you should be able to increase this value. I would do a test pattern, and slowly increase the acceleration settings until you start to get lost steps (cut errors), then back it off by about 20%.

1MetalGuru

@Julius_Jahn How do you get an Ox to go 5000mm/min?

Hello Mr Darrel N. My 1/4 bit setting right now are:
Rpm 23500
Pass depth 0.125
Stepover 0.1
Feed rate 80.0 inches/min
Plunge rate 30 inches/min
I didn’t have any problem so far but I was wonder if I can increase the speed with some adjustments.

apakah proses pengerjaan ini, juga tergantung pisau/cutting tool yang digunakan, saran saya untuk proses ini lebih baik menggukan cutting tool seperti gambar ini. bisa langsung merapikan

As I said, increase your speed until it doesn’t work properly, then back it off by 20%. This should be a safe maximum for that material/bit/RPM combination. Be patient. Complicated machining patterns take time. Trial and error is a valid method for determining feed rates with unfamiliar tools. You will develop a feel for proper feed rates with experience.

MG

Thank you, for the input. Getting better. Thx. Happy holiday. And I need to get some better bits. Not homedepot .

Well After 3 hr, I Finished With A Bad result. 5/8 thick pine it’s not really 5/8. :frowning:
Lesson learn . Next time I use the planners to flat the right size.

Lesson #1 - Wood is a natural material and is not flat, square, or any fixed thickness. Environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, etc will affect it’s dimensions. If it’s flat one day, it won’t be the next.

MG