Steps/mm configuring

I am using a smoothieboard in a CNC application. The x,y & z axes are ball screws driven by 36Tooth GT2 pulleys connected to a 20 Tooth ? pulley on the stepper motor. I am calibrating the axes at present and Its around 1450 steps/mm on the 3 axes. That’s a lot higher than the 80 steps/mm I used on a previous belt driven machine.
The machine appears to work well (homing and basic movement) with these settings (with reduced speed and acceleration settings), but I was wondering if having such high step/mm values will affect smoothiebord/machine operation or motor performance eg overheating or significantly reduce motor life. Is there an acceptable range or max value for steps/mm?
If so one option would be replacing the 36t gear with 20T which should reduce this value.

Imported from wikidot

The smoothieboard max step rate is 100khz (3 axis), so with 1450 steps/mm your maximum feed speed would be 4138mm/min. If this is a mill, thats probably fine. If its a wood router, this may be a bit slow.

The other option of course is to change your microstepping rate. What do you have it set at? How did you come up with the 1450 steps/mm?

Gavin
Thanks for the reply.
I decided to change the gearing down to 1:1 on X+y axis they are now around 805 steps/mm. it is a mill application so far it seems ok.
Al