Started machining a guitar body tonight.

Started machining a guitar body tonight. Got a dust shoe for the machine and it’s awesome! As usual ChiliPeppr performed flawlessly. You can see the guitar top on the inside of the cavity - maple burl. (Edit - that screenshot of the CAD sure looks bad. Weird)

@jlauer ​​, I added a laser crosshair to the machine. I suppose it wouldn’t be too difficult to add a widget that could apply a user configurable offset to the X and Y axes. What do you think? Would it be worth the trouble?

aef6c353e13bc3ffb08b7d7efb4f46e9.jpeg

Hi Brian, I’m not sure what you mean by the laser cross hairs and the offset? I’m assuming you mounted the laser on the spindle but you can’t get it to be right under the end mill because that would be physically impossible, thus you have it just offset from it. Could you post a photo? Then you’re saying you try to line up the cross hairs and you zero out, but then you have to offset? Why not just do a custom offset and then re-zero? Is it those 2 steps you’d like to convert to 1 step?

Hey John, yes I mounted the laser to the router clamp. You can see the black wire going into the hole in the clamp in the video above, that’s where the laser is. So basically I line the crosshair up with the 0,0 on the work piece and then apply an offset so that when I send the tool to X0Y0 it will then be aligned with that reference. I just use the serial console to send a G28.3 command to offset each axis. Maybe a macro would work for this? I just don’t want to accidentally mistype the offset using the G28.3.

A word of caution. I have a camera based zero tool attached to my Z but your lazer would be similar. You need to make certain that the lazer is exactly straight, otherwise your offset would be different depending on where your Z is at when you were locating the edge. To ensure this put the z all the way down, turn on the laser and make a dot. Then raise the Z all the way up. Is the laser still pointing at precisely the same dot? If so then you are good to go, if not, then you need to tweak on the laser until that is the case. Then you will be able to use the same offset reliably no matter where your Z is at. If you are looking for a starting point for a little settings panel to let the user save an offset for them to apply you can check out a widget I built for my camera, not yet complete, but might help you: http://jsfiddle.net/3nqahwcc/4/

@Anthony_Webb wow that widget looks like it’s got spectacular potential. I can’t wait to use it.

Yeah good advice Anthony. Mine is nice and straight so no problems there. That’s a pretty cool widget!

@Brian_Cross yea that advice was from a school of hard knocks, I mounted the enclosure of my USB endoscope nice and straight, but the offset seemed to keep wandering! It was after I did the tests that I found that inside the endoscope enclosure the camera sensor itself was not straight and true, so I had to shim/twist the things such that the camera was in fact spot on. Since that point it has been a pretty good way to locate myself around my material.

@jlauer I havent got it saving the offset values yet, and I need to make an apply offset button that will apply the x/y offset too. The other thing that needs to happen is that camera window should not scale the image as it causes the crosshairs to change position, need to make sure the size is consistent.