Somewhat related to all the patent & licensing debates of late.

gplus
discussion
(Brian Evans) #1

Somewhat related to all the patent & licensing debates of late. I especially like this:

“And maybe [patents] were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors.”

Anyone care to bankroll a non-profit that patents everything we come up with then licenses it all openly?
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

(Billy) #2

Such an excellent move with the extra bonus side effect of ensuring Tesla retains and acquires the best engineers. Makerbot did the opposite.

(Thong Nguyen) #3

Even if the move is self-interested—or maybe even because the move is self-interested—open source will move the electric car and printing industries to better places, forcing players to compete not on the day’s current code/designs, but toward making products that ultimately benefit consumers. I think that like Elon Musk, printing organizations like RepRap, Lulzbot, and my buddy’s and my open source Thingiverse alternative aggregator, are all wedded to the notion that promoting openness enlarges the industry as a whole. Tesla’s really leading the way.