Some basic math that becomes extremely obvious AFTER using a 3d printer that I

Some basic math that becomes extremely obvious AFTER using a 3d printer that I wish more people would keep in mind BEFORE deciding on a 3d printer.

111=1
222=8
333=27
444=64
555=125
666=216
777=343
888=512
999=729

That is why you see very few examples of large prints.

I take this as a dare :stuck_out_tongue: Inches… gah

very thin sections needed. (Or cheap print material.)

I’m planning to print my whole house in scale 1:1. One day, far far in the future…

@John_Bump You could use abstract units and say… A print 9 times bigger could take 729 times longer to print. Though hollow definitely helps.

As someone who doesn’t have a 3D printer but is just starting to look into it I can tell you that I have no idea what the math above means besides the obvious. Can you enlighten me please.

@Shawn_Loescher It is in relation to print volume, and how something “slightly bigger” may increase print volume and thus print time quite significantly. Also, don’t trust print volumes advertised :slight_smile: Just because it has a large print envelope doesn’t mean something that big will successfully print…

You shouldn’t forget the voids. A large print with very low fill factor wouldn’t take long to print. However the exponential duration holds true. Compare it with injection molding, the volume increase doesn’t increase the manufacturing time like additive manufacturing.