So what LEDS are the cool kids using these days? Still WS2812B?

gplus
(Kev Zhu) #1

So what LEDS are the cool kids using these days? Still WS2812B? Or is there a new toy that’s changed the game?

Been away from the community for a bit but am making my way back. Really cool stuff lately, great job everyone

(Daniel Garcia) #2

Apa102 - up to 20mhz data rate, ~20khz pwm rate (vs 800khz data rate for the 2812s and a 400hz pwm rate)

(Mark Kriegsman) #3

In other words, they’re roughly 25 times as awesome.

(Kev Zhu) #4

Do you see a significant speed improvement on FastLED with an Arduino? Or does the processing now need to be upgraded to Teensy or RPi to take advantage of this speed?

(Andrew Tuline) #5

Arduino is fine for most. Heck, I use a variant of FFT’s as well as FastLED on some of my Nano’s.

(Daniel Garcia) #6

It really depends on what you’re driving/how much you’re driving. I do the bulk of my real (which is to say, non-FastLED development/testing) led work on the teensy 3.1 these days. I still have no reason to push myself up to an rPI or BBB :slight_smile:

(PaulStoffregen) #7

Do you really need APA102 if you’re not doing persistence of vision or other fast movement of the LEDs?

(Mark Kriegsman) #8

Me, I love the APA102 for its imperviousness to interrupt/timing issues.

(PaulStoffregen) #9

The WS2812s are too, if using DMA to move the data!

(Daniel Garcia) #10

Not everyone is using platforms where that is an option :). (Also, the 650,000 rgb led updates/sec vs the ~250,000 rgb led updates per second are also a benefit for me w/apa102s :slight_smile:

(Mark Kriegsman) #11

Also, I like to keep code as portable as (pragmatically) possible. It’s a challenge in the microcontroller world, but APA102s help support it.

(Jason Coon) #12

I love being able to watch you brilliant people have these conversations. :slight_smile:

(Mike Thornbury) #13

@Mark_Kriegsman “they’re roughly 25 times as awesome.” if that is even possible! :slight_smile: