So, the new version of  is out...

some other company need support Cura better too

… and the users :wink:

Gina, correct… smallest donation for milion of current user is big donation. But big power of users are possible to help in coding/debug or creating network and community.

Ok now that we closed this issue (and I highly advice the Open Source Evangelists in this round to stop crying Wolf when a simple short email might have fixed this issue of misunderstanding) do we all agree on buying @Daid_Braam a Beer for his lengthy and transparent answer?

@Daid_Braam ​ I understand your thinking on this. I am a KDE user and every few years their developers do these kind of overhauls. It causes users some pain for a while but we live through it. I actually like the idea of a common and flexible configuration file format and can see the benefit it brings to programming the GUI.
Keep up the great work. I am moving to Cura now from the printrun suite because its ageing GUI breaks under GTK3 and should have received the same attention you are now giving Cura years ago.

I saw “wireframe” and was CRAZY excited as I have an old Kossel with a .75mm nozzle which would be perfect for wireframe printing (it’s been built for this purpose, just no software available yet).

I downloaded the new Cura, installed it in Win7HomePrem. And it crashes at “Loading UI”. Un-install, reinstall, reboot, still crashes. Run as administrator, it runs!

Wireframe generation crashes. But, I can save out the g-code anyway and I get gcode. It possibly is complete.

I was looking at editing the gcode to adapt it to my 0,0 is the center of the bed, but if a manual config file edit is all that is needed to make things work on my printer, I am happy as a clam.

Building the software for yourself is perfectly understandable. Getting word out about how to make it work on other printers within 24 hours is pretty good. It would have saved me some hand-wringing and whining to my wife last night if I knew the manual config was an option. Maybe setting this expectation that you will do all the UM printers and the community is responsible for all the other printers is a good thing? Maybe have pre-bundled configs ship with Cura is a vendor-paid option?

I am really liking the simple/advanced toggle as I can have my pre-reading-age kids print stuff in simple mode (and maybe convince my wife to use the printers too), and I have all the power I need for my needs.

Thanks for the great software.

Been a big fan of Matter Control, have been printing with it on a Rostock Delta and its all very clean. Maybe a bit slow but certainly better than RepHost

@Mike_Creuzer wireframe printing is still quite experimental, but it’s one of those areas where experimentation is still fun and required. So let us know what your experiments bring :slight_smile:

Good to hear that support for other printers isn’t gone for good.

I haven’t had time to do much digging yet, but the new Cura’s settings aren’t stored in the same place as the old version’s on the Mac. Anyone know where I can find these json files before I spend more time searching? Are they inside the application bundle?

@Whosa_whatsis the json files are in the app bundle. (Not sure where config is stored on mac)

@Daid_Braam Experimental is a good word for it. A custom edit of the config file seems to work to get things working tolerably well for a Kossel frame.

The crash at the end of the wireframe generation can be worked around, as the gcode can be saved out, loaded into pronterface. It looks complete, but I don’t know if there is some more processing that it needs to be done to make the gcode ‘right’.

The pause setting after the upwards stroke is ignored, but the one after the diagonal down isn’t, so I can’t get anything built up off the platform, but it sure does stick to the platform well.

The extruder movements seem totally buggered. Adding a pause after the wire moves causes 1205mm+ of plastic to be extruded immediately. I manually edited -1200mm through the gcode file, but I think this left a leading 0 which my smoothieboard reads as no extrusion. A quick, sloppy, find and replace won’t due it seems. More hacking of gcode tomorrow to see if I can fix the initial extrusion issue.

It also wants to wire-print both the inside and outside of a tube, which is reasonable, except that the walls are too close and the 2nd wall print movements would collide with the first wall print. I see some nozzle size definitions that I’ve not tweaked to make accurate to my MG hotend, so it could be a function of my hotend geometry vs a UM hotend.

All in all, absolutely nothing worked right. But I am so excited about wireframe printing I don’t care! I think can coax a print out of the software with another night of trial and error.

I’ve done some searches online for “cura wireframe” and am seeing no photos or videos, so nobody like me who likes to post my poor print results online has gotten it to work yet either.

Many thanks to Ultimaker for some epic work on the new Cura. When some of these fiddly details get worked out, its going to be awesome.

@Mike_Creuzer best to report issues with the wireframe printing here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/issues
You should get a reply from BagleOrb who made the whole wireframe printing (new colleague at Ultimaker)

Morning, my first reaction to the new look Cura was also to freak out. Thank you @Daid_Braam for the clarification and I do agree with pretty much everything you said. I’ll figure out my custom printer settings later but I’ve started playing with the interface and so far I really like how the features for the machine is selected under settings and show up in a drop down so you can turn them on or off. It looks nice and I’m sure will work well. I modified the config a little to match my printer setting sliced in the new and old cura and time and materials where withing a few seconds and mm’s so I’m happy. Will play some more but haven’t seen the material cost option. It’s quite nice as when a friend asks me to print something it easy to use it as a way to figure out how much to tell him it will cost.

Have anyone tried the new wire printing mode and get a result?