So the guys in my college fraternity alumni facebook group started talking about spending

So the guys in my college fraternity alumni facebook group started talking about spending $30 apiece on some metal challenge coins. I was like, guys I’ve got a laser machine now I can make something. So I came up with this wooden challenge coin and even designed a small display stand to go with them. Made from 1/8" alder.

As I’m not from America, I’m unfamiliar with this stuff. What is a challenge coin? What you’ve made looks great.

Nice work!

(I AM from America, but didn’t do the Fraternity thing when in school ( I was too busy fixing TV’s to pay my tuition, rather sorry I missed out on it though)

@Yuusuf_Sallahuddin_Y Thanks Yuusuf. You can read about challenge coins here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Nice. I designed something along those lines for the MakerSpace UAV challenge. I did a wood & acrylic sandwich so the surface was dust proof (no exposed crevices/engraves) and I got both dark wood engraves and acrylic etch effects.

I like your stand design. Nice and simple but just what’s need to keep it as a display item vs sitting in a drawer.

Thanks @Jim_Hatch :slight_smile: Do you have a pic of the UAV coin? Would love to see what you did with the combined wood and acrylic etching.

@Nedman ​ I’m on a business trip this week. I’ll have to run into the MakerSpace to get a photo. I think we kept some for the sample display we drag around to different Maker events.

@Jim_Hatch No problem, just if you ever get a chance. You’ve got me thinking now. Question, what did you use to join the acrylic and wood?