So not exactly 3D printing, but highly related.

So not exactly 3D printing, but highly related. Both in the sense of the required electronics and the bot, as well as in the arbitrary-manufacturing sense.

For light duty work, it seems to me that most of the sturdier designs of FDM bot would work, to a certain extent, with a milling head (the printrbot jr and makibox style designs with axes supported at only one end, probably not so much). Why isn’t anyone selling kits, then? One kit, comes with an extruder head and a milling head?

Originally shared by Limor Fried

The Othermill: Custom Circuits at Your Fingertips by Otherfab
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otherfab/the-othermill-custom-circuits-at-your-fingertips

@Adafruit_Industries is a backer!

It’s not just the head you’ve gotta change out. It’s the whole drive system. Due to the forces that milling requires, you typically use lead screws with anti backlash nuts. This is too slow for 3D printing, so 3D printing uses belt driven drive systems.

Looks tiny, wobbly, weak and missing a sensible way to mount your bank.
For PCB milling it’s missing an electric height probe.

But it’s so tiny…

That’s part of the problem.
Only tiny blanks fit in there. Barely enough for name tags… If the name is short.
Too small even for medium sized PCBs.

Only tiny blanks fit in there. Barely enough for name tags… If the name is short.

my take? its small and expensive. I dont understand why it is getting attention when you can get one of these for half the price. https://www.inventables.com/technologies/desktop-cnc-mill-kits-shapeoko
The investment levels seem kinda hipster eh? 1$ 5$ 50$ 999$ to actually get anything , which if you are a human calculator is roughly 2 shapeoko’s.

This kinda feels like someones friend did it and it got way to much notice.

@Marcus_Wolschon well, the sizes are in inches so I couldn’t really understand them, but it appears to fit euro cards (100x160mm).

You can do anything on euro cards. If necessary multiple ones.

@Addidis_no don’t forget to add the non-included shipping costs and of cause customs and import-sales-tax.

It says it’s optimized for PCB work bur neither do I see a respectable mounting for PCBs, not a way to turn+align them for 2-sided boards nor an electrical height probe.
Sorry but I did mill PCBs and wrote my own G-Code post-processor to do 10x10 hight-probes because the copper is much, much thinner then the unnoticably small deflection of the PCB.

Qu-Bd is attempting to do a hybrid Mill/Printer called the R.P.M. I’m in on the beta testing, and so far, it looks very promising… but we shall see…

http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=45

@Eric_Cha keep is posted! It’s a very interesting machine.

@Marcus_Wolschon - will do. Right now, they have shown a lot of very nice 3d prints, but not a single thing milled. It looks like the first units of the beta will go out soon, but I am one of the very last in the beta test, so I probably won’t get my unit for another couple months…