So I've been printing with the j-head and Ultimachine PLA at 185 degrees and

So I’ve been printing with the j-head and Ultimachine PLA at 185 degrees and its been going well, but I noticed on my last print that the filament got kind of “drippy” on the nozzle and when I was scraping the skirt off the build platform it was really brittle and broke apart (instead of lifting off in one piece).

Is this just a “wrong temp” thing or is there maybe something up with this piece of filament?

I print at about 200-210•C with my ultimaker & pla …

Temperature readouts can vary quite a bit from printer to printer due to tolerances in the thermistor, the resistor network and the Atmega’s DAC (±10°C are common). You’ll have to figure out the exact temperature by trial an error.
You might also want to check if the thermistor is starting to slide out of the heater block. Joseph Prusa has had a hotend melt because of this.

I’ll keep an eye out for that @Thomas_Sanladerer , thanks for the tip!

It’s weird, I switched to another piece of filament (still Ultimachine, different color) and after a meter or so everything was back to normal. Maybe there was just something funky with the tail of the other filament or maybe some transient issue, but I’ll keep an eye on the thermistor.