So I'm messing with my raspberry pi and I'm at the store and I

So I’m messing with my raspberry pi and I’m at the store and I see a beaglebone black. Other then speed is it a lot better? should I pick one up?

Not that this should sway you one way or the other, doubly so given how behind I am on platform and chipset support, but the beaglebone black is far higher up on the FastLED “add to supported platforms” list than the rPi. Just saying :slight_smile:

Yeah that will sway me haha I’d like to have fastled hooked up someday to a home automation system for hall lights and such :slight_smile:

This might be a silly question, but I’ll ask anyway— what kind of horsepower would a BBB have over a Teensy 3.1? I know clearly the processor is much much quicker, but does that translate directly with all the stuff on top?

With the BBB, it’s not just about horsepower (though, 1Ghz over 96Mhz…), it’s also about the chip itself (A-class Arm vs. Cortex-M*), the dedicated gpio processors (completely offload FastLED’s scaling/dithering/color correction, for example), and most importantly for those doing graphics work - a GPU :slight_smile:

BBB support for fastLED would be so sick

i ended up not getting it yet but i will get one just didnt have much extra cash at the time haha thanks for the answers tho