So I have been fighting trying to print a Lion model from thingiverse at

So I have been fighting trying to print a Lion model from thingiverse at the request of my 3 year old son. It’s not possible to print unsupported but I never had much luck with slic3r or cura support removal. I tried a print using meshmixer support and lost adhesion on a leg and an upright early in the print. So I made spaghetti all night long.

I bit the bullet and purchased simplify3d. Wow this software is amazing. All the settings you’d want and the support material snapped off so clean no sanding was required. It performs like Affina printers support work in videos I’ve seen. Pricey software… But I am now sold.

I printed at .18mm layer height, 40mm/s, 195c, orange semi translucent pla from seemecnc.

d01cb441adf5d914dbca3bd4c3b22ead.gif

261c91bd5937cb951c928e75ba4c4037.gif

eafa25bfa5256c5e2253d8d2671c29cd.gif

8f2562eec8732fd8c5ebe1e9f596deee.gif

ce7b261bc1ff7d45c4b187ece0e1e3bd.gif

73cf1c5e7e45575ce9e726384d18251f.gif

That is awesome. Wonder what happens if you need to transfer it to a different pc.

@Eclsnowman , if I was to try to print that, I think I would have tried printing it butt down. Although that may seem strange, you would have had minimum support material cleanup and else than the legs, almost everything probably would have been within acceptable overhang limits.

Oh. animals also tend to have hair coming to a point on the back of their legs, it seems, so the odd spots might actually look more real.

Looks great, but man, $140 is pretty steep.

Depends on what you a doing or using it for. If i can confirm it it can be transferred to a different PC due to it crashing ect i will buy this. i am waiting on an answer back from the company.

@Wayne_Friedt crashing?

@NathanielStenzel makes sense on the orientation. But the way I printed the layers look a lot like hair. So I am pleased.

If my PC crashes i may loose the programs. Its happened before and i wasn’t able to redownload a certain program. it was only good for one download.

@Wayne_Friedt When I installed it just had me enter the license code. I will try to install on another PC and let you know the results.

@Ashley_Webster thanks for the compliment and the info about simplify license.

Is there a trial version available? I would pay $140 for a good software. But I wouldn’t pay it without testing.

@Eclsnowman Off this subject. How far apart did you make your X rods?

Here is the email i have gotten from S3D about transferring the program.

Hi Wayne,

You can easily transfer the software to a different computer if you need to. You can go to Help > Deactivate Product to move the license or you can contact us if your hard drive crashes or some other similar catastrophic failure.

Thanks

how about makerbot desktop?

Man I almost pulled the trigger yesterday after meeting a guy who had nothing but glowing reviews for it. But I lost my never when I was entering my credit card info.

You may have sold me now…

@Eclsnowman amazing results man!

@D_Rob thanks. I love that this is a hobby you always learn from. There is never a failure. Just opportunities to learn more and improve. Now I just have to dig deeper into simplify3d’s settings. I am just glad it turned out so well on the first thing I ever sliced. My son loves it BTW. That helped smooth things over with the misses who hates how much time I spend printing :slight_smile:

^ I know that feeling

high school mascot, i want one of those