So I have an ultimaker 2 extended printer that I run at work and

So I have an ultimaker 2 extended printer that I run at work and somewhat recently I started having this weird printing issue and I can’t figure out why. As you can tell, the layers aren’t that smooth. Granted that this is a small part but my cheap $200 printer at home is printing better than this. Any ideas as to why it’s doing this? I kinda think it’s the Z axis lead screw because it seems to change layer by layer, not in random spots. On the flip side, my z axis height is like spot on when parts are measured with calipers. I’m at a loss with this thing. I’ve tried different speeds, temps, jerk speed, flow rate, retraction settings and whatever else I could think of. The belts are plenty tight as well. I just don’t know what else it could be…

This is a temperature issue, raise the printing temperature and IT should run smooth, if not lower The printing speed and keep higher temperature. Try 40mm/s and 220 deh or Try higher. Leg ME know if you succed

Looks like Z axis, have you tried multiple different models with the same effect?

Check if the temperature isn’t oscillating. Some UM2 machines have that issue, requiring some PID tweaking to become stable.

is the filament dry?

@Petruse_Mihai I’m already running PLA at 215c.

@SKULLKANDY_Design Yeah. Doesn’t matter what I print.

@marc_kerger It SHOULD be dry but you never know I guess. I’m about to put a new roll on soon anyway so we’ll see if that helps at all.

@Kevin_Danger_Powers still leaning to the Z axis being off. Not sure if it would be moisture in the PLA unless you have had the roll out for months on end. Maybe try a different slicer and see what the result is?

Maybe a long shot, but have you tried an “atomic” or cold pull?

@Jeff_DeMaagd no but that’s not a bad idea.

You can GO higher than 215 deg, i have a 1.75 PLA filament that i use 230 deg on delta printer at 80mm/s, 0.4mm nozzel. But you should wach closly if you have temperature variation/drop more than 5 deg.

Could it be that the extruder doesn’t work properly and needs maintenance.

So I tweaked a few settings here and there but I did 2 things at the same time and it seems better. I did a cold pull and use a new roll of filament. So far it’s better but I have only printed 1 small part. I’ll try more again tomorrow.